Strawberry Cream Cheese Toast is an easy breakfast option that is made with toasted sourdough bread, cream cheese, macerated strawberries, and fresh basil. Try it!
Breakfast is the most important meal of the day. Most days I opt to have oatmeal because it is fast and easy to make. However, some days I just need a change and something different for breakfast instead. On those days I usually have avocado toast.
Avocado toast is totally a thing. It has basically taken over my Instagram feed and there are so many beautiful versions that you cannot help but give it a try. The only problem that I usually have with avocado toast is the avocado itself. The avocado is either too hard and not ready or I forget all about it and it becomes too ripe for me to use and I have to throw it away instead. The avocado has to be the perfect amount of ripeness to be able to use it on toasted bread.
But there are other ways that toast can be enjoyed and I love to get creative with my breakfast toast.
Cream cheese is another great option to top toasted bread because there is no need to wait for the perfect avocado. It also has a creamy mild flavor that pairs well with bolder flavors. For this recipe, I decided to top the cream cheese toast with some macerated strawberries and a sprinkle of fresh basil. This toast is definitely fancy, the perfect balance of sweet and savory, and surprisingly filling. The fresh sprinkle of basil on top adds another layer of flavor as well as a bit of freshness. Be sure to save this recipe for Strawberry Cream Cheese Toast and try it soon.
Strawberry Cream Cheese Toast
- 1 cup fresh strawberries, green removed and cut into quarters
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 slice crusty bread (I used sourdough)
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon cream cheese
- 1 teaspoon fresh basil, chopped
- Wash the strawberries, remove the green tops, and cut into quarters.
- Toss with 1 tablespoon of sugar per 1 cup of strawberries and allow to sit for 15 to 20 minutes until the juices have released.
- Preheat the oven to broil. Place the bread slices on a baking sheet and brush the tops with olive oil.
- Place the bread under the broiler until it becomes toasty and golden brown.
- Spread a generous amount of cream cheese on top of each slice of toast.
- Spoon on the desired amount of strawberries on top of the cream cheese and sprinkle with the chopped fresh basil.