This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Strawberry Cream Cheese Toast is an easy breakfast option that is made with toasted sourdough bread, cream cheese, macerated strawberries, and fresh basil. So simple and delicious!
If you're craving another quick breakfast option with strawberries, then be sure to try making a three-ingredient Strawberry Smoothie. For a sweeter option, make a Strawberry Preserves Cake or some Strawberry Donuts.
Breakfast is the most important meal of the day. Most days I opt for oatmeal because it's fast and easy to make. However, some days I need a change and something different for breakfast instead. On those days I usually have avocado toast.
Avocado toast is totally a thing. It has basically taken over and there are so many beautiful versions that you can't help but give it a try. The only problem that I usually have with avocado toast is the avocado itself. The avocado is either too hard and not ready or I forget all about it and it becomes too ripe for me to use and I have to throw it away instead. Avocado has to be the perfect amount of ripeness to be able to use on toasted bread.
But there are other ways that toast can be enjoyed and I love to get creative with my breakfast toast. Cream cheese is a great option to top toasted bread because there is no need to wait for the perfect avocado. It also has a creamy mild flavor that pairs well with bolder flavors.
For this recipe, I decided to top the cream cheese toast with some macerated strawberries and a small amount of fresh basil. This toast is definitely fancy, the perfect balance of sweet and savory, and satisfying. The fresh sprinkle of basil on top adds another layer of flavor as well as freshness. Be sure to save this toast recipe with strawberries and try it soon.
Ingredients You'll Need
- Strawberries - Be sure to use fresh strawberries that can be located in the produce section of your local grocery store. You will prepare them by removing the green leaves and cutting them into quarters. This recipe has not been tried with frozen strawberries.
- Sugar - Use granulated sugar or cane sugar. You may also use a sugar substitute if you prefer. This ingredient will help to lightly sweeten the strawberries and pull the moisture out of them to help create the strawberry topping for our toast.
- Bread - Any bread that you prefer will work for this cream cheese toast with strawberries, but try to select an option that is crusty and will toast up really well such as sourdough or slices of French bread.
- Olive Oil - This will help to toast the bread and will add a layer of additional flavor to the bread.
- Cream Cheese - You may use any original flavor cream cheese that you prefer. Dairy-free, low-fat, or full-fat cream cheese will all work well with this recipe. You may also select a flavored option such as strawberry, chive, or jalapeno.
- Basil - Top the strawberry toast with a small amount of freshly chopped basil. You only need a small amount and can usually find a small container in the produce section of the grocery store.
See the recipe card below for exact ingredient quantities.
Step By Step Instructions
Begin the recipe by preparing the fresh strawberries. You will need to wash them, remove the green tops, and cut into quarters. Toss the prepared strawberries with the granulated sugar and allow them to sit for about 15 to 20 minutes until the juices release.
Next preheat the oven to high broil and place the bread slices on a baking sheet and brush the tops with olive oil before placing into the oven under the broiler until it becomes lightly toasted and golden brown in color, about 2 to 4 minutes.
Carefully remove the bread from the oven and spread a generous amount of cream cheese on top of each slice of toast.
Lastly, spoon the desired amount of strawberries on top of the cream cheese and top each piece with a sprinkle of freshly chopped basil. Enjoy!
If you have any leftover strawberry mixture, then store it in an airtight container and use it the next morning with another serving of cream cheese toast. The strawberry mixture will only last a day.
Strawberry Cream Cheese Toast
- 1 cup fresh strawberries, green leaves removed and cut into quarters
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 slice crusty bread (I use sourdough)
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon cream cheese
- 1 teaspoon fresh basil, chopped
- Begin the recipe by preparing 1 cup of fresh strawberries. You will need to wash them, remove the green tops, and cut them into quarters.
- Toss the prepared strawberries with 1 tablespoon granulated sugar and allow them to sit for about 15 to 20 minutes until the juices release.
- Next preheat the oven to high broil and place the 1 bread slice on a baking sheet and brush the tops with 1 teaspoon olive oil before placing into the oven under the broiler (or air fryer) until it becomes lightly toasted and golden brown in color, about 2 to 4 minutes.
- Carefully remove the bread from the oven and spread a generous amount (1 tablespoon) of cream cheese on top of each slice of toast.
- Lastly, spoon the desired amount of strawberries on top of the cream cheese and top each piece with a sprinkle (1 teaspoon) of freshly chopped basil. Enjoy!
*All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe and nutritional value will vary depending on the brands you use, measuring methods and portion sizes per household.
Original post date 10/02/2018. Updated 08/23/2022.
MORE RECIPES YOU'LL LOVE
Have any comments, questions, or other delicious ways to enjoy this Strawberry Cream Cheese Toast? Please share them in the comments below!