This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Make a Chocolate Banana Mocha Smoothie for a thick, rich, and creamy breakfast smoothie that is perfect to enjoy in the morning before starting the day.
This is a delicious smoothie recipe that is the perfect combination of coffee and chocolate. If you need a smoothie with more protein, then try making a Strawberry Smoothie instead. For a dessert with coffee flavor, try making a yummy batch of Coffee Cookies.
Mornings are usually a pretty busy time for me. I often do not have time to make anything for breakfast. This is exactly why a smoothie is so easy and convenient. You basically place all of the ingredients into a blender, blend, and pour it into a glass to enjoy. So perfect to sip on while on the go.
I have many ingredients that I enjoy using, but a frozen banana and coffee are certainly my favorite ingredients to add to smoothies. Which makes this particular smoothie the perfect flavor combination of these two delicious ingredients.
- Banana - A frozen banana works best and makes the smoothie thick and creamy.
- Cocoa Powder - This give this smoothie it's mocha flavor. You may choose to use unsweetened cocoa powder or cacao powder instead.
- Coffee - The coffee flavor portion of the smoothie, use strongly brewed coffee or espresso.
- Milk - Any milk that you prefer will work in this recipe, I prefer to use almond milk.
- Sugar - To add a bit of sweetness to the smoothie. You may also choose to use any granulated sugar, maple syrup, agave nectar, or honey instead if you prefer.
- Allspice - This smoothes out the flavor and brings balance to the smoothie. If you do not have it, then you can omit it or use a combination of cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Ice - Makes the smoothie cold, thick, and creamy.
Begin the smoothie recipe by using a blender, add in a frozen banana, coffee, milk, cocoa powder, sugar, allspice, and ice.
Place the top on the blender and blend together all of the ingredients until smooth and creamy, about 3 minutes.
Remove the top from the blender and pour the smoothie into your favorite glass and serve immediately. Enjoy!
- Protein – Add a scoop of vanilla or plain protein powder for added protein and to make this smoothie more substantial.
- Milk - Almond milk, whole milk, oat milk, any will work with this recipe.
- Cacao - Use cacao powder for additional minerals instead of unsweetened cocoa powder.
- Sweetener - You can use any that you prefer. Try cane sugar, maple syrup, honey, or agave. If you need to omit, then you may do that as well.
- Cinnamon - If you prefer not to use allspice, try ground cinnamon and nutmeg instead.
To make a smooth mocha smoothie, you will need a blender! Any blender will work and it does not necessarily have to be a high powered expensive blender. The blender that I use and love is a Vitamix Professional Series 750.
You may add a little more coffee or milk if needed! Especially if the shake is too thick and won’t completely blend. High powered blenders do a great job at powering through frozen items with very little to no liquid. However personal size and regular blenders may need a little more help in the form of more liquid. Just be sure to only add in a little at a time.
Chocolate Banana Mocha Smoothie
- 1 large frozen banana
- ⅓ cup strongly brewed coffee or double espresso
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon allspice
- 1 cup ice
- Begin the smoothie recipe by using a blender, add in 1 large frozen banana, ⅓ cup of coffee or double espresso, 1 cup milk, 2 tablespoons cocoa powder, 1 tablespoon brown sugar, ½ teaspoon allspice, and 1 cup ice.
- Place the top on the blender and blend together all of the ingredients until smooth and creamy, about 3 minutes.
- Remove the top from the blender and pour the smoothie into your favorite glass and serve immediately. Enjoy!
Original post date 04/18/2016. Updated 10/11/2021.
More Smoothie Recipes:
Have any comments, questions, or other delicious ways to use this Chocolate Banana Mocha Smoothie? Please share them in the comments below!