This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Homemade Cranberry Orange Scones is a delicious blend of sweet and tart in one bite. A freshly baked treat packed with cranberries, orange, and sweetness. Enjoy with a cup of coffee or tea!
These scones will pair perfectly with a side of Baked Egg Muffins or a Sheet Pan Breakfast Bake to make a filling breakfast or brunch the whole family is use to enjoy. If you want to keep it simple, then simply pair it with a side of some Homemade Cold Brew Coffee.
The year is quickly coming to an end and this is actually my last blog post for the year. It has been a busy and amazing year and I cannot wait to see what the new year has in store.
One recipe that I’ve completely fallen in love with making this year is scones, which is crazy considering that I used to think they were extremely difficult to make, but that was until I learned that the main key is to handle the dough as little as possible. You really have to turn it a few times until it comes together, cut it, and then place it in the oven to bake.
If you make the mistake of stirring or kneading the dough a little too much, then you will end up with tough scones, and trust me no one likes hard scones. Another trick that I picked up is to shape the dough into a pizza and use a pizza wheel cut the individual scones in the same way as you would pizza slices and you will have yourself perfect scone shapes the easy way.
I also love that you can make so many different types of scones once you master any basic scone recipe. Including this recipe for cranberry orange scones made with frozen cranberries.
WHAT INGREDIENTS ARE NEEDED TO MAKE SCONES WITH CRANBERRIES?
- All-purpose flour
- Cranberries, frozen
- Orange, juice and zest
- Baking powder
- Granulated sugar
- Heavy cream
- Powdered sugar
HOW TO MAKE THIS EASY SCONE RECIPE?
HOW LONG DO HOMEMADE SCONES LAST?
Homemade scones can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature up to 3 days. Storing in an airtight container or a tightly closed plastic bag in the refrigerator will allow the scones to keep a little longer, up to 5 days.
Cranberry Orange Scones
- 1 ¾ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 ¼ teaspoons baking powder
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 ¼ cups heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 1 ½ teaspoon orange juice
- 1 cup frozen cranberries
- 1 ¼ cups powdered sugar
- ¼ cup orange juice
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper, set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, sift together the 1 ¾ cups all-purpose flour, 2 ¼ teaspoons baking powder, 2 tablespoons granulated sugar, ¼ teaspoon salt, and whisk together to make sure combined. In a small mixing bowl, stir together the 1 ¼ cups heavy cream, 1 tablespoon orange zest, 1 ½ teaspoons orange juice, and 1 cup frozen cranberries.
- Make a well in the flour mixture and slowly pour in the heavy cream mixture and stir until everything comes together to form a soft dough.
- Turn the dough out on a clean lightly floured surface and turn it a few times until the dough sticks together in a ball. Flatten out the ball to form a circle about ¾ inches thick and cut the same way as you would a pizza.
- Place the scones on the prepared baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes, or until the scones are golden brown.
- Carefully remove the cranberry orange scones from the oven and while they are cooling for a few minutes make the orange glaze in a small bowl by whisking together the 1 ¼ cups powdered sugar, ¼ cup orange juice, and 1 teaspoon orange zest. If you would like a thicker glaze, then add additional powdered sugar and if you would like a thinner glaze, then add additional orange juice.
- evenly drizzle the glaze over each scone and serve warm or at room temperature. Store any leftovers in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days.
Original post date 12/30/2016. Updated 07/20/2021. Updated photos are by Gabby of Cookie Dough Diaries.
WANT A FEW MORE SCONE RECIPES? TRY THESE:
Have any comments, questions, or other delicious ideas for these delicious Cranberry Orange Scones? Please share them in the comments below!