This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Make a Chocolate Banana Mocha Smoothie for a thick, rich, and creamy breakfast smoothie that is perfect to enjoy in the morning before starting the day.
This is a delicious smoothie recipe that is the perfect combination of coffee and chocolate. If you need a smoothie with more protein, then try making a Strawberry Smoothie instead. For a dessert with coffee flavor, try making a yummy batch of Coffee Cookies.
Mornings are usually a pretty busy time for me. I often do not have time to make anything for breakfast. This is exactly why a smoothie is so easy and convenient. You basically place all of the ingredients into a blender, blend, and pour it into a glass to enjoy. So perfect to sip on while on the go.
I have many ingredients that I enjoy using, but a frozen banana and coffee are certainly my favorite ingredients to add to smoothies. Which makes this particular smoothie the perfect flavor combination of these two delicious ingredients.
- Banana - A frozen banana works best and makes the smoothie thick and creamy.
- Cocoa Powder - This give this smoothie it's mocha flavor. You may choose to use unsweetened cocoa powder or cacao powder instead.
- Coffee - The coffee flavor portion of the smoothie, use strongly brewed coffee or espresso.
- Milk - Any milk that you prefer will work in this recipe, I prefer to use almond milk.
- Sugar - To add a bit of sweetness to the smoothie. You may also choose to use any granulated sugar, maple syrup, agave nectar, or honey instead if you prefer.
- Allspice - This smoothes out the flavor and brings balance to the smoothie. If you do not have it, then you can omit it or use a combination of cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Ice - Makes the smoothie cold, thick, and creamy.
Begin the smoothie recipe by using a blender, add in a frozen banana, coffee, milk, cocoa powder, sugar, allspice, and ice.
Place the top on the blender and blend together all of the ingredients until smooth and creamy, about 3 minutes.
Remove the top from the blender and pour the smoothie into your favorite glass and serve immediately. Enjoy!
- Protein – Add a scoop of vanilla or plain protein powder for added protein and to make this smoothie more substantial.
- Milk - Almond milk, whole milk, oat milk, any will work with this recipe.
- Cacao - Use cacao powder for additional minerals instead of unsweetened cocoa powder.
- Sweetener - You can use any that you prefer. Try cane sugar, maple syrup, honey, or agave. If you need to omit, then you may do that as well.
- Cinnamon - If you prefer not to use allspice, try ground cinnamon and nutmeg instead.
To make a smooth mocha smoothie, you will need a blender! Any blender will work and it does not necessarily have to be a high powered expensive blender. The blender that I use and love is a Vitamix Professional Series 750.
You may add a little more coffee or milk if needed! Especially if the shake is too thick and won’t completely blend. High powered blenders do a great job at powering through frozen items with very little to no liquid. However personal size and regular blenders may need a little more help in the form of more liquid. Just be sure to only add in a little at a time.
Chocolate Banana Mocha Smoothie
- 1 large frozen banana
- ⅓ cup strongly brewed coffee or double espresso
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon allspice
- 1 cup ice
- Begin the smoothie recipe by using a blender, add in 1 large frozen banana, ⅓ cup of coffee or double espresso, 1 cup milk, 2 tablespoons cocoa powder, 1 tablespoon brown sugar, ½ teaspoon allspice, and 1 cup ice.
- Place the top on the blender and blend together all of the ingredients until smooth and creamy, about 3 minutes.
- Remove the top from the blender and pour the smoothie into your favorite glass and serve immediately. Enjoy!
*All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe and nutritional value will vary depending on the brands you use, measuring methods and portion sizes per household.
Original post date 04/18/2016. Updated 10/11/2021.
More Smoothie Recipes:
Have any comments, questions, or other delicious ways to use this Chocolate Banana Mocha Smoothie? Please share them in the comments below!