This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
This recipe for Jerk Chicken Tacos is loaded with the flavor of jerk seasoning. Simple to make, ready in less than 30 minutes, and perfect for Taco Tuesday or any day.
These tacos are delicious to serve on their own for dinner, but feel free to also pair them with a loaded salad topped with Cilantro Lime Salad Dressing and paired with a refreshing Original Margarita Recipe.
One of my favorite things to pick up on my travels is the local seasonings.
This is a great way to bring some of those amazing flavors into my kitchen and attempt to recreate dishes. It is no wonder that my favorite place to visit over and over again is the Caribbean. I absolutely love visiting anywhere in the Caribbean. The weather, the beaches, the beautiful people, and of course the food.
If you have spent any time in the Caribbean, then you already know that jerk flavors can easily be found. So of course I always make sure to grab some local jerk seasoning to bring home to use and that is just what I will be sharing with you today with these jerk chicken tacos.
Let's get started!
- Jerk seasoning - This is traditionally a seasoning blend that includes thyme, allspice, and scotch bonnet. Be sure to use dry jerk seasoning and not the wet seasoning for this recipe. The dry seasoning will be used as a rub for the chicken and to season the mayonnaise to make a sauce to top the tacos. Jerk seasoning should be easy to locate in the aisle with the seasonings in the grocery store. It may be labeled as Jamacian or Carribean, either will work.
- Oil - Use vegetable, canola, or olive oil to saute the chicken. This really depends on your preference and what you have available. For this recipe, I prefer to use canola oil for its neutral flavor and it gives the chicken a nice outer crisp.
- Chicken - Boneless, skinless chicken breast was used to make this taco recipe.
- Tortillas - Corn tortilla or flour tortillas if you prefer.
- Mayonnaise - Thise will be used to make a jerk sauce to top the tacos.
- Slaw mix - Adds a bit of crunch to the tacos and some fresh flavor.
- Lime wedge - Serve the tacos with a lime wedge and squeeze on top of the tacos before serving. It helps to balance the flavors and adds a nice punch of acid to the taco recipe.
See the recipe card below for exact quantities.
Begin the recipe by seasoning the raw chicken generously with jerk seasoning, rubbing it in on both sides.
In a medium skillet on medium-high heat, add the oil and allow it to heat thoroughly before adding in the chicken. Cook for about 5 to 7 minutes on each side until fully cooked at least 165 degrees F. internally.
Once the chicken is cooked, carefully remove it from the skillet and turn off the heat. Allow the jerk chicken time to rest before cutting into strips. Set aside.
While the chicken is resting, in a small bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise and jerk seasoning to top the tacos.
Assemble the tacos by warming the tortillas first, followed by placing the slaw on next, followed by the chicken and a drizzle of the sauce. Serve with a fresh lime wedge, freshly chopped cilantro, and your favorite salsa. Enjoy!
- Generously rub the chicken in the dry jerk seasoning.
- For thick chicken breast, cut them in half for quicker cooking and handling.
- Substitute chicken thighs in the same unit of measure if you prefer.
- If using corn tortillas or flour tortillas, warm them in the microwave or char them a little on an open flame.
- Serve with a side of the jerk seasoned mayo for dipping and your favorite salsa.
Jerk Chicken Tacos
- 1 ½ teaspoons jerk seasoning
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 large chicken breasts (1 pound)
- 2 ½ tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon jerk seasoning
- 1 cup slaw mix
- 4 corn tortillas
- lime wedges
- Begin the recipe by seasoning the 2 chicken breasts (1 pound) generously with 1 ½ teaspoons jerk seasoning, rubbing it in on both sides.
- In a medium skillet on medium-high heat, add the 2 tablespoons canola oil and allow it to heat thoroughly before adding in the chicken. Cook for about 5 to 7 minutes on each side until fully cooked at least 165 degrees F. internally.
- Once the chicken is cooked, carefully remove it from the skillet and turn off the heat. Allow the jerk chicken time to rest before cutting into strips. Set aside.
- While the chicken is resting, in a small bowl, whisk together the 2 ½ tablespoons mayonnaise and 1 teaspoon jerk seasoning to top the tacos.
- Assemble the tacos by warming the 4 corn tortillas first, followed by placing the 1 cup slaw mix on next, followed by the prepared chicken and a drizzle of the sauce. Serve with a fresh lime wedge and your favorite salsa. Enjoy!
*All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe and nutritional value will vary depending on the brands you use, measuring methods and portion sizes per household.
Original post date 04/25/2016. Updated 02/21/2022.
More Recipes to Enjoy with these Tacos
Have any comments, questions, or other delicious ways to use this recipe for Jerk Chicken Tacos? Please share them in the comments below!