This Instant Pot Philly Cheesesteak is an easy sandwich recipe that can be made in minutes in the pressure cooker. It's meaty, cheesy and delicious with steak, onion, green bell pepper, and cheese.
I love adding ingredients into an instant pot pressure cooker and then a few minutes later you have a full meal.
It makes planning dinner so much easier and effortless. Also, an added bonus is there is less of a mess to clean up. Saving time and feeding a hungry family is always a winner in my book. One recipe that I have enjoyed making lately is making this Philly cheesesteak recipe in the instant pot.
The pressure cooker makes the steak perfectly tender and the sliced onion and green bell pepper come out tender but not overcooked. Place the delicious filling into a hoagie or sub roll and top it with some cheese.
Let's get started!
What is a Philly Cheesesteak?
A Philly cheesesteak is a sandwich that is made from thinly sliced steak with melted cheese on a hoagie or sub sandwich roll. There are many versions of this sandwich, but I prefer to keep it simple and add sliced onion and green bell pepper for a little added flavor.
What Cheese is Best on Philly Cheesesteak?
Any sliced cheese or cheese sauce that you prefer is perfectly fine to use on a Philly cheesesteak. However, I find that the best cheese to use is Provolone because it is mild without being overpowering. It also melts beautifully and has a nice pull to it.
What to Serve with Cheesesteak?
What Ingredients are needed for Instant Pot Cheesesteak?
- Ribeye Steak - Any thinly sliced steak that you prefer will work. However when it comes to Philly Cheesesteak, I like to use ribeye steak because it can be purchased already sliced and is extra tender when cooked.
- Onion - Any yellow onion or white onion can be sliced and added to the cheesesteak. Make sure it is fresh onion and not frozen. Try to avoid red onion for this particular recipe.
- Green Bell Peppers - Green bell pepper adds great flavor to this sandwich recipe, but if you prefer to use yellow bell pepper or red bell pepper, they can be used instead.
- Salt - Adds season to the sandwich and prevents it from tasting flat.
- Ground Black Pepper - Try using freshly ground black pepper to season the meat and vegetables.
- Garlic Powder - Helps to add an earthy flavor to the sandwich and pairs well with the other ingredients.
- Beef Broth - Needed to help build steam in the pressure cooker to cook the sandwich filling. Helps to make the meat extra tender and juicy.
- Cheese Slices - Any sliced cheese that you prefer can be used. Provolone is a great option.
- Bread Rolls - Hoagie rolls or sub sandwich rolls can be used.
See the recipe card below for exact ingredient quantities and instructions.
How to make Philly Cheesesteak in an Instant Pot:
Begin the recipe by using a pressure cooker. Add the steak to the bottom. Top with sliced onion and sliced green bell pepper. Sprinkle everything evenly with salt, ground black pepper, and garlic powder.
Pour in the beef broth. Cover the pressure cooker with the lid making sure the knob is set to sealing and not venting. Cook on manual for 3 minutes.
Carefully use the quick-release function once the cooking is done. Remove the lid and allow the steam to escape.
Cut open the bread rolls, and add the meat mixture and cheese slices.
If you would like to lightly toast the bread and melt the cheese, place it open-faced underneath the broiler for a few minutes until the cheese is melted and bubbly. Serve warm and enjoy!
If you have any leftovers, store the meat separate from the bread in an airtight in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat the sandwich filling on the stovetop in a skillet over medium heat until warm. Add to a warmed or toasted bun and top with cheese. You can also reheat it in the microwave as well.
Want More Easy Instant Pot Recipes? Try these:
- Chicken and Potatoes with Green Beans
- Stuffed Peppers
- Instant Pot Brown Rice Recipe
- Pressure Cooker Mac and Cheese
- Sweet and Spicy Meatballs
Do you have any comments, questions, or other delicious ways to use this Instant Pot Philly Cheesesteak? Please share them in the comments below!
Instant Pot Philly Cheesesteak
- 1 Pressure Cooker or Instant Pot
- 1 pound ribeye steak, trimmed and thinly sliced
- ½ medium onion, thinly sliced
- 2 medium green bell peppers, cut into strips
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup beef broth
- 8 slices of your favorite cheese
- 4 hoagie rolls
- Using a pressure cooker, add the 1 pound of steak to the bottom. Top with ½ medium sliced onion and 2 medium sliced green bell peppers.
- Sprinkle everything with ½ teaspoon salt, ½ teaspoon ground black pepper, and ½ teaspoon garlic powder.
- Pour in the 1 cup beef broth.
- Cover with lid making sure the knob is set to sealing and not venting.
- Cook on manual or custom (High) for 3 minutes. Carefully use the quick release function once the cooking is done. Carefully remove the lid and allow the steam to escape.
- Cut open hoagie rolls. Add the meat mixture and cheese slices. Place underneath the broiler (open-faced) for a few minutes until the cheese is melted and bubbly. Serve warm. Enjoy!
*All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe and nutritional value will vary depending on the brands used, measuring methods and portion sizes per household.
Original post date 05/11/2020. Updated 09/11/2023.