This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
This Toasted Steak Sandwich is tender, juicy, and flavorful. Made simple with steak, cheddar, pickled onions, plus a little horseradish sauce on a toasted bun. A great sandwich to enjoy any time.
This recipe is similar to the toasted steak and white cheddar sandwich available at Panera Bread, but I was inspired to create it at home using my recipe for Quick Pickled Red Onions. It can also be made with a thinly cut-up Ribeye Steak.
I have seriously fallen in love with a few items offered at Panera Bread. It was bound to happen eventually since I live so close to them, literally walking distance now. Lately, it has just been so convenient to grab something to enjoy on those days when I don't feel like spending any time in the kitchen.
There are so many fresh and delicious options to choose from, but one that has quickly become my go-to option is the Toasted Steak and White Cheddar Sandwich.
It is so filling, cheesy, and tasty. Loaded with steak and white cheddar cheese on a toasted bun with a spread of horseradish sauce and pickled red onions. So simple yet, so so delicious. And of course, I was inspired to make this sandwich at home myself.
To begin making the sandwich, the first step is to make some Quick Pickled Red Onions. No worries, because I already have that recipe available on the blog and they are perfect to keep stored in the refrigerator to use on so many things, including this steak sandwich. After that, the rest of the sandwich comes together quickly, let's get started.
- Steak - I prefer to use ribeye steak for sandwiches. It's tender and can be thinly sliced for quicker cooking and piling on top of bread. You should be able to find a pack of thinly sliced ribeye steak at your local grocery store, but if not, then use a full cut and slice it yourself.
- Bread - For this recipe, I'll be using ciabatta bread, but hoagie rolls with work as well.
- Pickled red onions - This gives amazing flavor to our sandwiches and they are quick and simple to make, give them a try, Quick Picked Red Onions. Be sure to make them in advance before using to make this sandwich recipe.
- White cheddar - Use slices of white cheddar for mild but rich and delicious flavor.
- Horseradish sauce - Any pre-made sauce in the aisle at the grocery store with the condiments will work. Go with your preference.
See the recipe card for exact ingredient quantities.
Begin the recipe by grabbing a large skillet and placing it on the stovetop on medium-high heat. Add the oil into the hot pan followed by the steak. Season with salt, ground black pepper, and garlic powder. Cook and stir occasionally until all of the steak has browned.
Carefully use a spatula to section off each serving (about 4) for equal amounts of meat per sandwich. Top with the slices of white cheddar cheese and turn off the heat from the skillet. The residual heat will melt the cheese.
Lightly toast the bread and spread on the horseradish sauce on the inside and top with the steak and cheese mixture. Add the pickled onions followed by topping with the other slice of toasted bread. Serve with a side of your favorite chips or a salad and enjoy!
- Make the quick pickled red onions first or the day before if you have time. They get softer and better as they have time to marinate. Use a much or as little as you prefer.
- If you're not a fan of horseradish sauce, feel free to use mayonnaise instead.
- Ciabatta bread or cut into individual portions works well or hoagie rolls. Be sure to toast for a few minutes to make the bread crispy but not hard.
- This recipe makes about 3 to 4 hearty sandwiches, but can make more or less depending upon how much steak your prefer to use per sandwich.
- May use butter instead of olive oil if you prefer in the same unit of measure.
Toasted Steak Sandwich
- Large skillet
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound ribeye steak, thinly cut
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- 8 slices white cheddar cheese slices
- 4 pieces ciabatta bread or hoagie roll, toasted
- 2 tablespoons horseradish sauce
- ½ cup prepared pickled red onion
- Begin the recipe by grabbing a large skillet and placing it on the stovetop on medium-high heat. Add the 1 tablespoon oil into the hot pan followed by the 1 pound thinly cut ribeye steak.
- Season with ½ teaspoon salt, ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper, and ¼ teaspoon garlic powder. Cook and stir occasionally until all of the steak has browned.
- Carefully use a spatula to section off each serving (about 4) for equal amounts of meat per sandwich.
- Top with the 8 slices of white cheddar cheese and turn off the heat from the skillet. The residual heat will melt the cheese.
- Lightly toast the 4 pieces of bread and evenly spread on the 2 tablespoons of horseradish sauce on the inside of each piece of bread. Top with the portioned out steak and cheese mixture.
- Add the pickled onions followed by topping with the other slice of toasted bread. Serve with a side of your favorite chips or a salad and enjoy!
*All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe and nutritional value will vary depending on the brands you use, measuring methods and portion sizes per household.
More Steak Recipes
Have any comments, questions, or other delicious ideas for this Toasted Steak Sandwich? Please share them in the comments below!
your steak sandwich recipe was the hit of our household yesterday! My family loved them and made me promise to make them again soon!
Thank you! So happy to hear your family enjoyed the sandwich recipe!!
This sandwich has my name written all over it! Can't wait to make this tonight, thanks so much for the recipe 🙂
Thank you, hope you give it a try soon!
A classic sandwich that is always good, the pickled onions and horseradish elevated to terrific.
Thank you so much, so many delicious flavors in one sandwich!
This was a perfect sandwich to make and take to our family picnic! Everyone loved it, it was so easy to make too!
Thank you Anna, such a great picnic option 🙂
This is such a delicious steak sandwich! I love the kick from the horseradish, and the steak came out so juicy and tender.
Thank you so much, the horseradish certainly adds a nice punch of flavor!
Love the combination and love the spice and sauce flavors too. Perfect for any meal or snack box too.too.
Thank you so much, I completely agree!
This toasted steak sandwich came out so yummy! I love that the thinly cut steak cooked up quickly so it was perfect for lunchtime.
Thank you Sharon, it is such a great lunch option!
I made the pickles a day ahead of time as suggested and wow - we couldn't stop snacking on them. Don't skip them when making this delicious toasted Steak Sandwich
Thank you Daniela! The pickled onions really do make this sandwich 🙂
This post made me hungry. Those steak sandwiches look so good. I love the idea of using pickled red onions and horseradish. On my to make list later this week! Want to make the pickled onions too!
Thanks Jacqueline, hope you get a chance to try it soon 🙂
The toasted steak sandwich is my favorite sandwich from Panera, and now it's my favorite sandwich to make at home! Thank you so much for this recipe!
I feel the same way Chenée, it's such a great sandwich!!!