Try making these Garlic Green Beans for a simple and delicious side dish that is anything but boring. Made with fresh green beans, lots of garlic, salt, ground black pepper, and a splash of white wine vinegar.
If you're interested in trying more flavorful recipes with green beans, then try making a pot of Ham, Green Beans, and Potatoes or some quick and easy Instant Pot Chicken and Potatoes with Green Beans.
Sometimes when it comes to fresh veggies, less is really more. Often all that you really need is a few basic ingredients to make a great side dish using fresh vegetables.
With this recipe, those basic ingredients just so happen to be salt, ground black pepper, cooking oil, and a splash of vinegar at the end. Plus the good thing about this recipe is that you probably already have most of these items in your kitchen.
Let's get started.
WHAT MAIN INGREDIENTS MAKE THE BEST GARLIC GREEN BEAN RECIPE?
- Fresh Green Beans - Use fresh green beans from the produce section at the grocery store. You can use the bagged version that is already prepped and ready to go or a bunch that you may have to prep a little before using. Try to select beans that have a beautiful green color and firm texture. Avoid green beans that have spots on them and are overly bendable.
- Garlic - You will need six cloves of garlic, so grab a large bulb of fresh garlic. Peel and thinly slice the garlic or finely mince it using a knife. The best option is fresh garlic and not the jar version.
- Olive Oil - Any brand that you prefer will work. Extra-virgin olive oil will work as well. If you prefer to substitute with vegetable oil, avocado oil, or peanut oil may be used instead.
- White Wine Vinegar - Adds a pop of acid to finish off the green beans and brings the side dish together. May use rice vinegar or distilled white vinegar instead.
See the recipe card below for exact ingredient quantities and instructions.
HOW DO YOU PREP GREEN BEANS?
For this recipe, make sure that you purchase fresh green beans that can be found in the produce section of the grocery store. These can be whole or already cut depending on your preference. If you get the whole green beans, then you will need to do a little prep work before starting the recipe.
Next, carefully grab a cutting board and a knife. Use these to trim the green beans. Cut a small amount at a time and trim both ends of the green beans.
Remove any loose strings on the green beans by hand. Wash the green beans after trimming and then they are ready to use in the recipe. After prepping the green bean, you may allow them to sit in an ice bath, cold water with ice, until you're ready to use them.
HOW TO MAKE GARLIC GREEN BEANS:
The first thing that you will do to make these easy garlic green beans is to make the garlic oil. To do this you will heat garlic, olive oil, and a pinch of sugar in the microwave in a small dish.
This really gives the green beans their flavor and helps to soften the garlic much faster.
Next, you will sauté the green beans in a large skillet in the garlicky hot oil over medium heat for a few minutes and finish the sautéed green beans by adding some white wine vinegar, which makes this dish tasty and fresh.
No worries as the small amount of white wine vinegar is not overpowering.
This recipe is quick and easy to prepare within a few minutes and is the perfect side dish to compliment any meal.
DO YOU HAVE TO BLANCH GREEN BEANS BEFORE COOKING?
No, for this recipe it isn't necessary. However, these green beans will still have a bit of a crunch and crisp texture to them and will not be overcooked.
If you prefer a super tender green bean, then you may not enjoy this recipe as much. However, if you enjoy the Asian-inspired green beans that you find in restaurants, then you will like this easy recipe.
CAN I SUBSTITUTE CANNED OR FROZEN GREEN BEANS INSTEAD?
No, not in this recipe. It requires the use of fresh green beans, string beans, or haricot verts only.
If you have any leftover green beans, place the room temperature beans in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3 to 4 days.
When ready to serve, simply reheat in the microwave or on the stovetop over medium-high heat until warm.
WHAT TO EAT WITH THIS RECIPE FOR GARLIC GREEN BEANS?
- Ribeye Steak
- Southern Cornbread
- Cast Iron Chicken Breast
- Easy Lasagna Recipe
- Spaghetti and Meatballs
- Spicy Pop Pulled Pork
- Garlic Butter Shrimp
- Fried Brown Rice with Vinaigrette
Have any comments, questions, or other delicious ideas and ways to enjoy these Garlicky Green Beans? Please share them in the comment section below!
Garlic Green Beans
- 6 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- pinch of sugar
- 8 ounces fresh green beans, trimmed
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 ½ teaspoon white wine vinegar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- In a small bowl, stir together the garlic slices, 1 tablespoon olive oil, a pinch of sugar, and microwave for 45 seconds until the garlic has softened.
- In a medium skillet, heat half of the garlic oil over medium heat until thoroughly heated.
- Add the 8 ounces green beans, 2 tablespoons water, cover, and cook the green beans about 3 minutes or until they are bright green.
- Add in the other half of the garlic oil, cover, and cook for another 3 minutes. Uncover the green beans and stir occasionally cooking the beans for another 3 minutes, until the garlic becomes golden.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the 1 ½ teaspoon white wine vinegar, ½ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper.
- Serve immediately and enjoy. Store any leftovers in the refrigerator in an airtight container for 3-4 days.
*All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe and nutritional value will vary depending on the brands used, measuring methods and portion sizes per household.
Original post date 01/08/2020. Updated 9/05/2023.