This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Homemade Tomato Soup – A change in weather certainly calls for a bowl of hot, steamy, and easy to make soup recipe. I hope you give this one a try!
We need to talk!
I just wanted to have a moment to share some things with you.
Lately, you have been sending me so many mixed signals that I’m not really sure at this point how to respond to you. There used to be a time when my calendar would reflect the season of Summer and I knew that it was a clear time for me to wear shorts and sandals and head to the beach, but now when I look at the date I’m really not sure if I should wear my winter coat with gloves or jeans and a t-shirt in January/Winter.
What happened for you to change up on me Weather?
We used to be cool and I loved spending time with you, but just this past week you sent me rain for 3 days, dropped down to the low 50s for 3 days, and then followed up with a sunny in the high 70s type of day. I’m really trying to hang in there with you weather but at this rate, I fear that you are not the best thing for me. You change so frequently that my body does know how to react to you anymore and you are making so many people around me sick and they also don’t like what you are doing.
Now Weather…I’m willing to give you another chance, but could you at least keep things even and by that I mean if you’re cold this week…then be cold…and if you’re warm next week…then be warm. I believe that we can work this thing out Weather if I could just have a little bit more of a commitment from you or at the very least could you be just a little more predictable.
Homemade Tomato Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 3 large carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 celery stalk, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 28 ounce cans diced tomatoes
- 1 15 ounce can tomato sauce
- 32 ounces vegetable broth (or chicken broth)
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasonings
- 1/2 cup heavy cream (optional)
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat and add in the onion, carrots, celery, and stir often until the vegetables become soft.
- Add in the garlic and cook for another minute and then remove the pot from the heat.
- Using a blender (you may have to work in 2 separate batches), puree the sauteed vegetables and 2 cans of diced tomatoes.
- Pour back into the pot and add the third can of diced tomatoes into the blender and pulse once or twice and pour into the pot.
- If you have an immersion blender then you can add in all three cans of the diced tomatoes to the pot once you have finished cooking the vegetables and blend until you reach your desired level of consistency.
- Stir into the pot the tomato sauce, broth, Italian seasonings, salt, and pepper.
- Bring to a low boil and reduce heat to a simmer on low, cover and cook for 30 minutes to allow the flavors to come together.
- Just before serving stir in the heavy cream. Ladle into bowls and serve with a sprinkle of cheese, chopped fresh basil, or a grilled cheese sandwich.
Is anyone else feeling this crazy ‘so-called’ winter weather??
Have any comments, questions, or other delicious ideas for this homemade tomato soup? Please share them in the comments below!