This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
This easy Tomato Basil Pasta is made using simple, fresh, and delicious ingredients to make the perfect delicious but uncomplicated meal. Perfect anytime!
Let me tell you that recipes do not have to be complicated at all. Especially during the summer with the kids being out of school and the states beginning to fully open again. Uncomplicated is certainly all I am interested in when it comes to everyday life and meals/recipes.
Spaghetti pasta is a staple in my kitchen pantry. There are so many ways that it can be used to make a quick meal. I prefer to use thin spaghetti pasta, but for any of my recipes, feel free to use whichever pasta noodle that you prefer.
WHY IS THIS RECIPE THE BEST?
Today's recipe is ...
- Easy to make!
- Has a simple list of ingredients.
- The perfect combination of fresh tomatoes and basil.
- Comes together in minutes.
WHAT INGREDIENTS ARE NEEDED TO MAKE TOMATO AND BASIL PASTA?
- Spaghetti. I prefer to use thin spaghetti because it is what I always have on hand, but feel free to use any that you would like or have available.
- Tomatoes. Clean and cut up some grape tomatoes to mix into this recipe. Cut each individual tomato in quarters lengthwise.
- Basil. Fresh basil works best, but if you need to substitute it for dried basil, try opting for the lightly dried basil that can be found in the produce section of the grocery store.
- Garlic. Mince one clove of fresh garlic. If you need to use the kind of garlic that is already minced and ready to use, by all means, go for that instead.
- Olive oil. I use Extra Virgin Olive Oil, but any will do!
- Red pepper flakes. Also known as crushed red pepper. Use more if you like more heat and less if you are sensitive to heat. You can also omit this all together.
- Oregano. This should be in your spice rack!
- Ground black pepper. Freshly ground or preground is fine.
- Nutritional yeast or Parmesan cheese. Use nutritional yeast to keep this recipe plant based and grated Parmesan cheese if you prefer, either is fine!
- Lemon juice. Cut a small lemon in half and use half of the juice in one lemon.
HOW TO MAKE TOMATO BASIL PASTA RECIPE?
Easy Tomato Basil Pasta
- 6 ounces thin spaghetti
- 1 ½ cups grape tomatoes, quartered
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ¼ cup basil, chopped fresh
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ½ teaspoon oregano
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast or grated Parmesan cheese
- juice ½ lemon
- Cook 6 ounces of spaghetti pasta according to package instructions. Reserve ½ cup of the pasta water to use in the sauce later.
- In a large serving bowl, mix together the 1 ½ cups tomatoes, 1 clove minced garlic, ¼ cup fresh basil, ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes, ½ teaspoon oregano, ½ teaspoon ground black pepper, and set aside.
- Once the spaghetti is ready, drain, and slowly add into the tomato mixture. Tossing to incorporate as add in the reserved pasta water until the mixture is well combined.
- Use as much or as little of the pasta water that you desire, but you will probably use either ¼ cup or ½ cup depending on how thick or thin you like the sauce.
- Sprinkle the tomato basil pasta with ¼ cup nutritional yeast or Parmesan cheese and the juice of half of a lemon and give it one final toss before serving.
Original post date 08/24/2016. Updated 07/02/2021. Updated photos are by Gabby of Cookie Dough Diaries.
WANT MORE SIMPLE TOMATO RECIPES? TRY THESE:
Have any comments, questions, or other ideas about this Tomato Basil Pasta? Please share them in the comments below!