This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Slow Cooker Black Eyed Peas and Pork Chops is a simple meal that is perfect to make during the holidays to celebrate the new year. Comforting, hearty, and delicious.
Happy New Year's Eve!
It is almost time for a new year and growing up in the south that usually means having a serving of black eyed peas for good luck. As a kid, I clearly remember my mother stocking up on dry black eye peas and serving with a side of pork and some greens. This tradition has stuck with me through adulthood with the exception of making it as simple as possible.
The first day of the new year is when the frantic holiday season begins to slow down. It is also not a day that I want to spend loads of time in the kitchen preparing a meal. So I opt to pull out the slow cooker and create this dump and go meal.
For this recipe, you will need canned black eyed peas, boneless pork chops, and a few other ingredients. You will layer everything in the slow cooker to ensure that everything cooks evenly and the meat is not overdone. This meal is comforting, flavorful, and a great way to start off the year.
What ingredients are needed to make black eyed peas in the slow cooker?
- Black eyed peas
- Pork chops
- Ground black pepper
- Garlic powder
How to Make Slow Cooker Black Eyed Peas:
Combine the black eyed peas in the slow cooker or Crock Pot. Season well with salt and pepper to taste.
Top the black eyed peas with seasoned pork chops. I seasoned the pork chops with salt, ground black pepper, and garlic powder.
Top the pork chops with a large roughly chopped onion and season with salt and pepper to taste.
Cover and cook in the slow cooker on low for 6 to 8 hours or on high for 2 to 4 hours. Depending on your particular slow cooker.
Serve over rice with a side of southern cornbread!
Slow Cooker Black Eyed Peas and Pork Chops
- Slow cooker
- 15 ounces (3 cans) black-eyed-peas, un-drained
- 1.5 pounds boneless pork chops
- 1 large onion, chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- garlic powder to taste
- Open and pour the three cans of black eyed peas into the slow cooker and season with salt and pepper to your taste.
- Season both sides of the pork chops with salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Place in an even layer on top of the black eyed peas in the slow cooker.
- Top the seasoned pork chops with the chopped onion in an even layer. Season with more salt and pepper to taste if you prefer.
- Place the lid on the slow cooker and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours or on high for 2 to 4 hours depending on your slow cooker. Remove the lid occasionally to stir.
- Once the time is up, check the pork chops for the desired doneness. Serve over rice with a side of southern cornbread.
*All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe and nutritional value will vary depending on the brands you use, measuring methods and portion sizes per household.
Want a few recipes to serve with black eyed peas? Try These:
Have any comments, questions, or other delicious ideas for these Slow Cooker Black Eyed Peas? Please share them in the comments below!