This recipe for Simple Roasted Sweet Potatoes is so easy and creates a sweet and tender side dish that is perfect to pair with any meal. Make-ahead to enjoy all week!
If you are craving more simple and deliciously roasted side dish recipes, then be sure to try making some Easy Roasted Potatoes and Maple Roasted Brussels Sprouts.
Do you need a side dish that is sure to compliment any meal? Need to include cooked sweet potato in a particular recipe? Then allow me to step in today and help you with a recipe for roasted sweet potatoes that is easy, simple, and delicious.
Roasted sweet potatoes are easy to make and there are many recipes out there. I have even previously shared a recipe for Easy Roasted Potatoes. Through the years I have boiled sweet potatoes in water, cubed them before roasting in the oven, and even sauteed them in a skillet.
Then one day I decided to cut a sweet potato and place it on a parchment-lined baking sheet with no seasoning or oil to see what would happen. When I removed it from the oven it yielded a soft, sweet, and completely no-fuss perfectly roasted sweet potato. Since then, I use this method to prepare my sweet potatoes weekly to add to any meal or eat as a filling snack.
Let's get started!
You will need these few ingredients to make these roasted sweet potatoes. They are easy to locate at any local grocery store.
- Sweet Potatoes - Use medium to large sweet potatoes.
- Baking sheet - Use a large baking sheet or sheet pan. Make sure that it is large enough to space out the potatoes so they will roast while baking instead of steam.
- Parchment paper - This will help so much with cleaning up and make the process easier.
See the recipe card below for exact ingredient quantities.
Begin the recipe by preheating the oven to 400 degrees F. and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Prepare the sweet potatoes by cleaning the outside skin and cutting them in half or quarters. Place on the prepared baking sheet with the cut side down on the parchment paper.
Bake until fork-tender.
Carefully remove from the oven before serving or storing for later. Enjoy!
You can use roasted sweet potatoes in so many ways. Use them to compliment any meal as a side dish.
- Toss them into a salad to make it a bit hardy and provide a vitamin-rich carbohydrate.
- Use them to make soup.
- Scoop all of the insides of the sweet potatoes and create a sweet potato mash with cinnamon and butter.
- Make a healthy dog treat.
- You can also use them in desserts such as Sweet Potato Pie or Sweet Potato Pound Cake.
The possibilities are truly endless. Give this recipe a try and let me know what you think in the comments below.
Store in an airtight container or plastic bag in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. Serve them warm by reheating in the microwave or cold straight from the refrigerator.
Simple Roasted Sweet Potatoes
- Large baking sheet
- parchment paper or nonstick liner
- large baking sheet
- parchment paper
- 4 medium sweet potatoes
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Prepare the sweet potatoes by cleaning the skin (outside) and cutting them in half or quarters. Continue the process with the rest of the potatoes.
- Place the pieces/halves on the prepared baking sheet flesh (inside) side down.
- Bake in the oven for 30 to 45 minutes until the sweet potatoes are fork tender.
- Carefully remove from the oven and serve immediately with your favorite additions or scoop out the center to use in another recipe. Enjoy!
*All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe and nutritional value will vary depending on the brands you use, measuring methods and portion sizes per household.
Original post date 02/19/2019. Updated 06/13/2022.
More Recipes You'll Love:
- Easy Roasted Potatoes
- Sweet Potato Miso Soup
- Easy Sweet Potato Pie
- Chorizo and Sweet Potato Enchiladas
Have any comments, questions, or other delicious ways to use these Simple Roasted Sweet Potatoes? Please share them in the comments below!
Oh, can't wait to try this! I love having sweet potatoes on hand, and have never thought of preparing the. This way!
I like to add them to smoothies - some cinnamon and any other spice you like, yogurt/almond millk/coconut water and ice, maybe a banana.
Thank you Jen! That sounds like the perfect smoothie 🙂
Thank you for pointing out all the great ways to use roasted sweet potatoes! I always tend to think of them as strictly a side dish.
Thank you Colleen, happy to help!
So tasty - we roasted them and made a sweet potato mash, with extra butter!
Thank you Peter, that sounds perfect!
I usually bake my sweet potatoes whole in the oven but this method saved me a ton of time. Love how they come out just slightly caramelized on the cut side.
Thank you Linda, it definitely saves time!
I love how easy this sweet potato recipe is. It's simple and the sweet potatoes come out perfect every time!
Thank you Kathryn!
I always have sweet potatoes in the house, so this is so perfect for me!! Making this as soon as the weather allows me to turn on the oven again, haha
Thank you Cathleen and I completely understand waiting to turn on the oven 😉
Lori | The Kitchen Whisperer
So simple yet so packed with flavor! Love how you cut them in half prior to baking!
Thank you Lori! Cutting them in half makes baking and serving so much easier.
Such a great post! I saved so much time cutting them in half rather than trying to roast them whole.
Thank you Tristin, cutting them in half makes things so much easier!
These came out so good! The potato was nice and soft with crisp edges. Super simple too!
Thank you so much Amanda, so simple!
Such a great idea! I love making sweet potato soup but usually just cube and boil the sweet potato. Roasted actually gives them more flavour!
Thank you Jacqueline, roasting gives them such rich flavor!
Lauren Michael Harris
My favorite way to eat sweet potatoes! Roasted them is so simple and easy and really lets the flavor shine - great recipe!
Thank you Lauren, love roasting sweet potatoes!