This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Sweet and sour cabbage is a simple side dish that combines green cabbage and bacon with a delicious sweet and sour sauce. It is flavorful and perfect for any meal.
Cabbage and Bacon are pretty hard to beat when it comes to a hearty down-home meal. This combination is so humble yet flavorful that it makes the perfect addition to any meal.
This recipe is simple and quick and puts a twist on this winning combination. The vinegar adds a tangy bite to the cabbage while the brown sugar sweetens the recipe and helps to bring out the flavors of the bacon. You have to give this recipe a try as I am sure you will not be disappointed.
What ingredients are needed for Sweet and Sour Cabbage?
- Shredded green cabbage
- All-purpose flour
- Brown sugar
- Chopped onion
How do I make sweet and sour cabbage?
Begin the recipe by cooking 5 cups of shredded cabbage in boiling water for 5 minutes and then drain. This will slightly soften the cabbage but allow it to remain crisp.
Next, cook ½ cup of bacon until well done and blot with a paper towel to remove excess oil.
Chop bacon into small pieces and place on top of the cooked cabbage.
Blend the leftover bacon fat with flour and brown sugar. Add vinegar, water, chopped onion, and salt and pepper to taste.
Cook until thick and pour over the cabbage and bacon. Mix until blended and cook until heat thoroughly. Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator up to 3 days.
Other delicious side dish options:
Sweet and Sour Cabbage
- 5 cups shredded green cabbage
- ½ cup cooked bacon, chopped
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- ¼ cup vinegar
- ½ cup water
- 1 tablespoon onion, chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cook 5 cups of shredded cabbage in boiling water for 5 minutes and then drain.
- Cook ½ cup of bacon until well done and blot the bacon strips with a paper towel to remove excess oil. Save the pan drippings.
- Chop bacon and place on top of cooked cabbage.
- Blend the leftover bacon drippings with flour and brown sugar.
- Add vinegar, water, chopped onion, and salt and pepper to taste (may also use red pepper flakes).
- Cook until thick and pour over the cabbage and bacon. Mix until blended. Cook until heat thoroughly. Serve warm.
*All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe and nutritional value will vary depending on the brands you use, measuring methods and portion sizes per household.
Have any comments, questions, or other ideas for this Sweet and Sour Cabbage? Share them in the comments below!