This Southern Cornbread recipe is hot, buttery, and delicious. Made in a cast iron skillet and is perfect with a bowl of chili or in cornbread dressing.
Cornbread is one of those recipes that is so simple to make.
However, over the years I have found that there are a couple of things that you can do to make it so much better. One thing is making sure to cook the cornbread in a cast iron skillet. Trust me you will want to pull it out from under the kitchen cabinet for this. It allows the cornbread mixture to really rise and the bottom will get thick and dark brown while the top will form an almost crusty layer that really takes it to another level.
But let’s go back a step because, in order to get that nicely browned bottom, you want to preheat the skillet at the same time that you are preheating the oven. You will also want to grease the skillet with a teaspoon of shortening before preheating it in the oven to ensure the cornbread will not stick to the bottom of the skillet and will come out nicely.
The next step that you want to be sure to add to this cornbread recipe is as soon as you remove it from the oven you want to rub a tablespoon of butter all over the top of the cornbread. Do this immediately after you remove it from the oven while the southern cornbread is still piping hot and the butter will melt and as it cools it will form a buttery almost crusty top layer. Plus once you serve the cornbread you will already have a melted butter top layer so you don’t have to add any additional butter if you don’t want to.
Keep in mind that this recipe is for a southern style cornbread and not a sweet cakey cornbread. This cornbread is perfect to crumble and use to make Easy Cornbread Dressing.
- 1 teaspoon shortening
- 2 cups self-rising white corn meal
- 1 1/3 cups buttermilk or whole milk
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- Use a medium size cast iron skillet and rub evenly with the shortening. Place in the oven to heat while it is preheating.
- Using a medium bowl, whisk together the cornmeal. buttermilk (or milk), egg, and vegetable oil until combined.
- Carefully remove the skillet from the oven and pour in the cornbread mix.
- Place in the oven to bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and while hot use a fork to spread the butter evenly over the top to melt.
- Allow to cool for 5 minutes and serve warm.