This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
This recipe for Oven Roasted Broccoli is simple and makes the broccoli tender on the inside with crispy edges. The perfect side dish to compliment any meal.
If you ask me the best way to prepare vegetables, I will say that it is by roasting them in the oven.
Just think about it for a minute, the process simply involves the veggies, a sheet pan, olive oil, and your favorite blend of seasonings. Once prepared, then place into the oven and allow them to cook. It yields a rich sweetness that you just can’t get when you saute them on top of the stove in a skillet.
The vegetables also end up tender on the inside, but with a little crisp and charring on the outside. My favorite vegetables to roast are any potatoes, especially sweet potatoes, brussel sprouts, and broccoli.
This is also the perfect method to use to cook vegetables in bulk to store in airtight containers in the refrigerator to enjoy all week. Today I will share with you the simple way to have the most simple and delicious oven prepared broccoli.
WHAT INGREDIENTS ARE NEEDED TO MAKE BROCCOLI IN THE OVEN?
- Fresh broccoli of course
- A sheet pan
- Parchment paper (optional)
- Olive oil
- Ground black pepper
HOW TO MAKE THIS OVEN ROASTED BROCCOLI RECIPE:
The process begins by taking a head of broccoli and removing the long stalk up to the point where the head splits into florets. You may discard the stalk or save it to use in homemade vegetable broth. Then remove the florets by hand or using a knife and clean the broccoli by giving it a good rinse under water.
Allow drying while preparing a sheet pan by lining with parchment paper and preheating the oven to 400 degrees F. Place the broccoli florets on the prepared sheet pan and drizzle with olive oil and add some salt and pepper. Toss all of the ingredients until evenly coated and place in the oven to bake.
I baked for 30 minutes and removed the sheet pan from the oven to toss after 15 minutes. I returned to the oven to bake for the additional 15 minutes.
And that is it, you can serve the oven-roasted broccoli immediately or store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator to enjoy later.
TIPS TO MAKE THE BEST OVEN ROASTED BROCCOLI:
- Wash and dry the broccoli. A little moisture on the fresh broccoli is okay but it should not be soaking wet before preparing to cook.
- Try to cut the florets into even sizes. This will ensure the broccoli will cook evenly.
- Do not crowd the broccoli on the pan. Leave a little space so the broccoli will roast (brown and crisp) instead of steam.
- Allow the oven to preheat at 400 degrees F. before putting the pan in the oven. It must be hot at a high temperature to make the edges of the broccoli crispy and golden.
- Use parchment paper to prevent sticking and for easy cleanup.
Oven Roasted Broccoli
- 1 head fresh broccoli
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. and line a large sheet pan with parchment paper.
- Prepare the broccoli by washing and cutting into small florets.
- Place on the prepared sheet pan and add the 2 tablespoons olive oil, ½ teaspoon salt, and ½ teaspoon ground black pepper. Toss to coat evenly.
- Roast in the oven until the edge of the broccoli begins to crisp, about 30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and serve warm.
Original post date 03/26/2019. Updated 04/07/2021.
WANT A FEW MORE RECIPES MADE WITH BROCCOLI? TRY THESE:
- One Pot Broccoli Mac and Cheese
- Chicken and Broccoli Casserole
- Sesame Shrimp
- Peachy Salsa Pork Chops
Have any comments, questions, or other ideas for this Oven Roasted Broccoli? Please share them in the comments below!