This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
One Pot Broccoli Mac and Cheese is a creamy and delicious pasta dish that the whole family is sure to love. Cheesy, healthy, and loaded with flavor.
Summer vacation is over and the kids are back in school. This is usually the time when I have a hard time getting back into the swing of things. Balancing changing family schedules can do that to you.
However this year my son left for college the beginning of July for the summer session, so I didn’t have to worry much about the back to school rush or making the adjustment in my schedule for school days and activities. I still can’t believe it some days and I still find myself pausing to make sure I am not forgetting anything. Basically going over my mental checklist often as if something is missing. When I left my son at college after dropping him off, on the way back home I was thinking…
Did I give him the important papers that he would need?
Did I make sure that he had all the things he needed?
Did he leave anything in the car?
I went over this list a few times and then I realized that I guess this is all a part of becoming an empty nester. We as parents prepare our kids for this day. We make sure they get an education. We teach them all the values that will serve them in adulthood. When the time comes, and it comes quicker than you think, I guess it’s just normal to wonder if we missed anything.
Anyway...Switching gears...When I began this food blog it quickly became a place for me to share ways to serve a delicious meal for my busy family that requires little time in the kitchen. Now that my family is smaller, let me assure you that nothing will change in that area. I will still be here to share recipes that are easy to make for those of you that still need them for your family.
Like this One Pot Broccoli Mac and Cheese. This recipe is creamy and loaded with flavor. You will save time since there is no need to boil the pasta beforehand or in a separate pot. That is the best part! Pasta, a creamy sauce, cheese, broccoli and you're done. Try it!
One Pot Broccoli Mac and Cheese
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 32 ounces chicken broth, (or vegetable broth)
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 cups elbow macaroni, uncooked
- 1 ½ cups fresh broccoli florets, chopped
- 1 ½ cups sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large deep-sided pot or saucepan, heat the butter on medium heat until melted. Add the onion and cook until softened.
- Add the minced garlic and stir constantly until fragrant.
- Stir in the chicken broth, heavy cream, and elbow macaroni.
- Bring to a boil and lower the heat to a simmer uncovered for 5 minutes.
- Add the chopped broccoli and continue cooking for 8 minutes, stirring often to prevent the pasta from sticking.
- Slowly stir in the cheese a little at a time until completely melted. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Remove from the heat and the sauce will thicken. Serve while hot.