This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Fried Brown Rice with Vinaigrette is a quick and easy dinner option that can be topped with a fried egg or sauteed oyster mushrooms for a vegan option.
While I was in college there was a restaurant that I loved to go to due to the fact that they specialized in stir-fry! This place was so amazing and I remember the menu was divided up into options for the base, veggies, protein, sauce, toppings, and you could choose any combination that you wanted. There was so much to choose from that you could literally have a different combination each time that you went there.
This place is also what made me begin to have an appreciation for brown rice. My favorite combination would usually be brown rice, chicken, mushrooms, broccoli, green peppers, spicy ginger sauce, with a topping of feta cheese. The serving was always affordable and enough to last you for at least two meals.
I still find myself creating this dish at home when I need something filling and in a hurry. This meal certainly can be pulled together in minutes and enjoyed any time of day. I will also let you in on a little secret…Are you ready??
It is a great way to use up any leftover rice from Chinese takeout that you may have in your fridge because of day-old rice stir-frys up so much better than freshly cooked rice.
Fried Brown Rice with Vinaigrette
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 onion, sliced thinly
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons ginger, minced
- 2 1/2 cups cooked brown rice
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 scallions, chopped
- fried egg (optional)
- oyster mushrooms, sauteed (optional)
- In a medium bowl, whisk the soy sauce, vinegar, and sesame oil together and set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chopped onion and cook, stirring often until the onions are soft and golden, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the garlic and ginger and cook until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Mix in the cooked rice and chili powder and cook until the rice is warmed through and starting to brown. Turn off the heat and pour rice into the prepared bowl on top of the sauce and toss until fully coated.
- Top the rice with any combination of protein and veggies that you like such as a fried egg or sauteed mushrooms.
Got any comments, questions, or other ideas for Fried Brown Rice? Share them in the comments below!