This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Fettuccine Alfredo Recipe - Classic sauce made using butter and Parmesan cheese that blankets the fettuccine noodles for a quick and easy meal.
My son loves fettuccine alfredo. I mean he loves it so much that each time we make a trip to a particular restaurant it will be the only thing that he orders, no need for him to look at the menu people. Now I totally get it because it used to be a favorite of mine as well. The thick and hearty pasta noodles, the buttery and creamy sauce, and the rich flavor the overall combination gives are really like nothing else. Especially once it is topped with more freshly grated cheese and black pepper. It really does not get any better than this.
Now when you order this dish out at a restaurant the sauce is very creamy and heavy. It is thick and really covers the fettuccine noodles in alfredo sauce, which is great as the occasional treat, but can be a bit much to try to duplicate at home. When I recreate a pasta dish at home it has to be easy to make, quick to whip up, and full of flavor. I also love making meals that require very few ingredients and I love it even more if I already have those ingredients in my kitchen and do not have to make a trip to the grocery store. So when I decided to try making fettuccine alfredo at home I only used three ingredients and those were pasta, butter, and cheese.
The recipe calls for fettuccine noodles but if you would like to use a different kind of pasta then feel free to try it. I believe a thin spaghetti would be great with this recipe. For the butter, you can use salted or unsalted depending on your taste but if you do decide to go with the salted butter then be sure to go easy on the extra addition of salt in the pasta water and prior to serving. Lastly we have the parmesan cheese and here I want you to really consider getting a higher quality than you have to grate yourself, although you can go with the prepackaged grated version I will encourage you to grate it yourself because it will not only melt better into the sauce but will also make the sauce taste so much better.
Fettuccine Alfredo Recipe
- 12 ounces fettuccine pasta
- ½ stick of butter, cubed
- ¾ cup parmesan cheese, grated
- In a large pot, cook the fettuccine pasta according to the package instructions until the pasta is al dente. Reserve 2 cups of the water prior to draining the pasta and set this aside.
- Using the same large pot that you cooked the pasta in pour in 1 cup of the pasta water that you set aside. Turn to a low simmer and whisk in the butter stirring until it melts and then slowly add in the grated parmesan cheese.
- If you would like a thinner sauce, then add in more of the reserved pasta water. Once the butter and cheese have melted, toss in the pasta, and stir until the noodles are thoroughly coated.
- Remove the fettuccine alfredo from the heat, serve topped with more freshly grated parmesan and salt, and pepper to taste.