This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Corned Beef Grilled Cheese – The ultimate St. Patrick’s Day sandwich with buttery toasted bread, caramelized onions, melted cheese, and corned beef.
Of course, you don’t need a recipe for a grilled cheese sandwich, but I just have to share with you this combination because not only is it delicious but it also contains corned beef, Swiss cheese, and caramelized onions on buttery toasted rye bread.
A grilled cheese sandwich is the one thing that I love to make on those evenings when I do not feel like spending a lot of time in the kitchen, but still, need something that is filling and comforting. It is also the perfect sort of thing to whip up when you really do not feel like leaving the house to make a trip to the grocery store because you probably already have the main ingredients in your kitchen and that is bread and cheese.
So for the bread with this sandwich, I am going to use some marble rye bread that I was able to pick up in the bakery section of my grocery store. I love using bread from there because it is fresh and contains simple ingredients with fewer preservatives. For the cheese, I will be using some slices of Swiss cheese, but if you are able to find Jarlsberg cheese that would be amazing in this grilled cheese sandwich.
Now if you have some corned beef that you have prepared to celebrate St. Patrick’s Day, then feel free to slice that and use it instead, but if you do not then just grab some deli slices of corned beef and cut that into strips to add to the caramelized onions that you will sauté prior to assembling the corned beef grilled cheese.
This recipe makes two corned beef grilled cheese sandwiches, so you can eat one and share the other. If you need more than two then feel free to double or triple the recipe.
Corned Beef Grilled Cheese
- 1 1/2 tablespoon butter
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 ounces deli-sliced corned beef, cut into strips
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon grainy mustard
- 4 slices Swiss cheese
- 4 slices marble rye bread
- In a large skillet, melt ½ tablespoon butter over medium-high heat and once the butter has melted add in the sliced onion, sugar, salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook and stir until the onions are soft and golden brown, about 10 minutes.
- Remove the skillet from the heat and stir in the strips of corned beef, Worcestershire sauce, and mustard.
- Place 4 slices of cheese onto 4 slices of bread and top two of the slices of bread and cheese with the corned beef onion mixture and place the other slices of bread and cheese on top to make a sandwich.
- Using the same skillet melt the remaining 1 tablespoon of butter over medium heat and add in the sandwiches, pressing with a spatula until the bread is toasted and the cheese melts.
- Flip and allow the other side to toast and the cheese to melt. Remove from the skillet and serve hot.
Got any comments, questions, or ideas for Corned Beef Grilled Cheese? Share them in the comments below!