This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
This Meatball Sub Sandwich is quick and easy to make. So comforting with delicious sauce, premade frozen meatballs, and cheese on a roll. Make in a slow cooker for a completely no-fuss meal.
Try pairing these simple slow cooker meatball submarine sandwiches made with frozen meatballs with a side dish of Baked Zucchini Fries or make some Oven Roasted Broccoli instead for a filling and complete meal.
Have you ever just had one of those days when you wake up and immediately know your day will be super busy. You know very early on that you won't have time for anything extra let alone making a complicated dinner for your family.
This is the exact moment that a slow cooker meal comes in handy. It allows you to add all of the ingredients into the slow cooker, place the lid on, turn it on, and wait for it to take care of things.
Dinner is ready in a few hours. Magic!
It is even better if the recipe requires few ingredients and is comforting and delicious like this meatball subs.
Why Meatball Subs
- Just four simple ingredients.
- Comforting and filling.
- Made easy in the slow cooker!
- Family friendly and something the whole family is sure to enjoy.
- Frozen Meatballs - For this ingredient, use any frozen meatballs that you prefer. They can be beef, pork, or chicken. Just make sure they are frozen. I use Rosina Meatballs for this recipe.
- Pasta sauce - Any sauce that you enjoy will work or if you would like to make your own try my recipe for Easy Homemade Pasta Sauce.
- Hoagie Rolls - Use hoagie rolls, sub rolls, or buns that are hearty enough to hold the meatballs and sauce without completely falling apart.
- Cheese - Feel free to use any cheese, sliced or shredded, that you prefer. Try to go with a mild cheese like provolone, swiss, mozzarella, or monterey jack.
Begin the meatball sub sandwich recipe by placing the frozen meatballs into a slow cooker. Pour the jar of pasta sauce over the meatballs in the slow cooker and stir to cover the meatballs in the sauce.
Place the lid on top of the slow cooker and cook on low for 3 hours or high for 1 hour. Keep in mind slow cookers may vary, so check and adjust cook time if needed.
Once the meatballs are finished, it's time to prepare the hoagie roll or bun. Use a knife to cut a hole out of the top of the bun and remove some of the breading from the center. You want to remove at least enough to make a nice well to add the meatballs.
Next, fill the bun with meatballs and sauce. Top the meatballs will cheese and serve immediately. Enjoy!
Meatball Sub Toppings
Keep this recipe simple with just cheese, it is great with that alone. However, feel free to top with bell pepper slices, fresh greens like spinach or peppery arugula. Some freshly chopped herbs like Italian (flat-leaf) parsley, basil, or chives.
The only equipment needed to make this recipe is a slow cooker or pressure cooker with a slow cooker setting. I am using an Instant Pot that I have had for a while. It has a slow cooker setting and takes the place of me needing to have a separate slow cooker.
Store any leftover meatballs and sauce in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat the meatballs before serving. Store the hoagie rolls or buns at room temperature separate from the meatballs.
Meatball Sub Sandwich (Slow Cooker)
- 26 ounces bag frozen meatballs
- 24 ounces jar (24 oz.) pasta sauce
- hoagie rolls or buns
- your favorite cheese
- Place the 26 ounce bag of frozen meatballs into a slow cooker. Pour the 24 ounce jar of pasta sauce over the meatballs in the slow cooker and stir to cover the meatballs in the sauce.
- Place the lid on top of the slow cooker and cook on low for 3 hours or high for 1 hour. Keep in mind slow cookers may vary, so check and adjust cook time if needed.
- Once the meatballs have finished, it’s time to prepare the hoagie roll or bun. Use a knife to cut a hole out of the top of the bun and remove some of the breading from the center. You want to remove enough to make a nice well to add the meatballs.
- For a toasted bun, place the buns on a sheet pan under the broiler on high for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Fill the buns with meatballs and sauce. Top the meatballs will cheese and place under the broiler again for 1 to 3 minutes, until the cheese is melted and bubbly. Remove and serve immediately. Enjoy!
- Store any leftover meatballs and sauce in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat before serving. Store hoagie rolls or buns at room temperature separate from the meatballs.
- If you prefer not to use a slow cooker, then use a large pot instead and cook on medium-low for 30 minutes.
Original post date 12/02/2013. Updated 09/29/2021.
More Meatball Recipes
Have any comments, questions, or other delicious ways to use this recipe for a Meatball Sub Sandwich? Please share them in the comments below!