This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
BBQ French Bread Pizza is a quick and easy pizza recipe to make at home using French bread plus a few additional ingredients. A delicious meatless option that is perfect to share with the whole family.
The first time that I ever tasted French bread pizza was as a child.
My dad would stop at the local gas station where they had a special section that travelers could pick a frozen item and pop it into the microwave to enjoy something quick. In this area, they had pepperoni French bread pizza and of course each time, I had to have it as a snack. Plus I felt a sense of independence being able to unwrap the pizza and bake it in the microwave all by myself.
Keep in mind that it was the 1980s and microwaves were huge, took forever to cook things in, and probably not safe to stand in front of. Now I cannot confirm the last part of that sentence, but let's just say that microwaves have come a long way.
Anyway, the pizza was always delicious, considering that it came from a gas station, and I always enjoyed it. Now fast forward into adulthood, I still enjoy a good French bread pizza. The only difference is that now I usually pick up the bread from the bakery and make it at home myself.
The good thing about making your own at home is that you can top it with anything and make two totally separate pizzas out of both halves of one loaf of French bread. This time I decided to create a BBQ French bread pizza version using meatless crispy tenders and my favorite barbecue sauce.
If you are not on a plant-based diet, feel free to substitute the crispy tenders for regular ole chicken nuggets and shredded sharp cheddar cheese. Trust me, you want to give this pizza a try. I promise you will not be disappointed!
What ingredients are needed for French bread pizza?
- French bread
- Meatless crispy tenders
- Plant-based cheddar style sheds
- Barbecue sauce
- Red onion
- Olive oil
- Nutritional yeast
- Plant-based butter
How to make barbecue pizza:
Begin the recipe by baking the meatless crispy tenders according to the package instructions. Once they have cooled, chopped into small pieces and toss in a small bowl with your favorite barbecue until the tender pieces are fully coated in the sauce. Set aside. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Slice the French bread evenly down the middle and press the center of the sliced bread pieces firmly with your hands to mash the center of the bread halves down. This step will make it easier for the toppings to be placed on the bread. Place the bread halves on the prepared baking sheet.
In a small bowl, whisk together the melted plant-based butter, minced garlic, olive oil, and nutritional yeast.
Spread the butter mixture evenly on top of the bread halves. Place into the oven and bake for 5 to 8 minutes, until the bread has lightly toasted.
Remove the bread from the oven and spread the barbecue sauce evenly over both halves, followed by the sliced red onion, barbecue crispy tenders, and the cheddar style shreds.
Place back in the oven and bake for an additional 5 to 8 minutes, until the cheese has melted and is bubbly. Enjoy!
Is French bread vegan?
Traditionally yes, French bread is considered vegan because it contains flour, yeast, water, and salt. Be sure to check packaging to make sure that it contains no animal products if this is a concern for you.
Can this recipe be made non-vegan?
It certainly can be made non-vegan, simply make only the following substitutions:
- Substitute 9 ounces regular chicken nuggets for crispy tenders.
- Use 4 tablespoon butter.
- For nutritional yeast use 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese.
- Instead of plant-based shreds use 1 ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese.
BBQ French Bread Pizza
- 9 ounces meatless crispy tenders, fully baked and chopped
- 2 cups favorite barbecue sauce
- 1 loaf French bread
- 4 tablespoons plant-based butter, melted
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- ½ cup red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 ½ cups plant-based cheddar style shreds
- Begin the recipe by baking the 9 ounces of meatless crispy tenders according to the package instructions.
- Once they have cooled, chopped into small pieces and toss in a small bowl with 1 cup of your favorite barbecue until the crispy tender pieces are fully coated in the barbacue sauce. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Slice the French bread evenly down the middle and press the center of the sliced bread pieces firmly with your hands to mash the center of the bread halves down.
- This step will make it easier for the toppings to be placed on the bread. Place the bread halves on the prepared baking sheet.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the 4 tablespoons melted plant-based butter, 2 cloves minced garlic, ½ tablespoon olive oil, and 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast.
- Spread the butter mixture evenly on top of the bread halves. Place into the oven and bake for 5 to 8 minutes, until the bread has lightly toasted.
- Remove the bread from the oven and spread 1 cup barbecue sauce evenly over both halves, followed by the ½ cup sliced red onion, barbecue crispy tenders, and the 1 ½ cups cheddar style shreds.
- Place back in the oven and bake for an additional 5 to 8 minutes, until the cheese has melted and is bubbly. Cut and serve warm. Enjoy!
- Photos show half of the French bread, the other half is not shown in the photos but accounted for in nutritional information.
- Cutting the French bread in half and then those halves in half again to create 4 equal pieces may make them easier to work with during the recipe process.
Want more easy pizza recipes? Try these:
Have any comments, questions, or other delicious ideas for this BBQ French Bread Pizza? Please share them in the comments below!