This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
BBQ French Bread Pizza: A fast and easy way to make pizza by replacing the pizza dough with fresh French bread that can be purchased from your local bakery and piled with your favorite toppings to create a quick and easy meal in minutes.
The first time I ever had French bread pizza was when I was a child and my dad would stop at the local gas station where they had a special section that travelers could pick a frozen item, pop it into the microwave, and enjoy something quick. In this area, they just so happened to have pepperoni French bread pizza and of course each time we would stop, I had to have it as a snack. Plus I also felt independent being able to unwrap the pizza and bake it in the microwave all by myself.
Keep in mind that we are referring to the 1980s time frame in which microwaves were huge, took forever to cook things in, and were probably not very safe to stand in front of. Now I cannot confirm the last part of that sentence, but let’s just say that microwaves have come a long way since then.
Anyway, the pizza was always delicious, considering that it came from a gas station, and I always enjoyed it. Now fast forward into adulthood, I still enjoy French bread pizza. The only difference is that now I usually pick up the bread from the grocer and make it at home myself.
The good thing about making your own at home is that you can top it with anything and make two totally separate pizzas out of both halves of one loaf of French bread. This time I decided to create a BBQ French bread pizza version using Gardein’s crispy tenders and my favorite barbecue sauce. If you are not a vegan, then feel free to substitute the crispy tenders for regular ole chicken nuggets and shredded sharp cheddar cheese.
Trust me…you want to give this pizza a try…I promise you will not be disappointed.
BBQ French Bread Pizza
- 8 Gardein crispy tenders, fully baked and chopped
- favorite barbecue sauce
- 1 loaf French bread
- 4 tablespoons Earth Balance butter, melted
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- red onion, thinly sliced
- Daiya cheddar style shreds
- Bake the crispy tenders according to package instructions.
- Once they have cooled chopped into small pieces and toss in a small bowl with your favorite barbecue until the tender pieces are fully coated in the sauce, set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and slice the French bread evenly down the center and press the center of the sliced pieces firmly with your hands to mash the center of the bread down.
- This will make it easier for the toppings to be placed on the bread. Place the bread halves on the baking sheet.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the melted butter, minced garlic, olive oil, and nutritional yeast.
- Spread the mixture evenly on top of the bread halves and place into the oven and bake for 10 to 12 minutes, until the bread is lightly toasted.
- Remove the bread from the oven and spread the barbecue sauce evenly over both halves, followed by the sliced red onion, barbecue crispy tenders, and the cheddar style shreds.
- Place back in the oven and bake for an additional 6 to 8 minutes, until the cheese has melted.
Got any comments, questions, or other ideas for this BBQ French Bread Pizza? Share them in the comments below!