These DIY Sweet Potato Dog Treats are so easy to make in one bowl with 5 simple ingredients. They are sure to be a favorite with your furry pal.
This week is Be Kind to Animals Week, so what better way to celebrate than to share with you an easy to make treat that you can share with your fur babies, as well as I, tell you a little about my furry ones. If you have been following me for a while, then you probably already know that I have a mini poodle named Shakespeare and a calico cat named Gabby.
Shakespeare is 6 years old and has been with me since he was six weeks old. He has a sweet spirit, is the best cuddle buddy, and loves peanut butter, coconut oil, and sweet potato.
He is also very protective and totally hates hugs if you ever try to hug me just be prepared for lots of jumping and barking. There is never a dull moment around with this little guy and his love for peanut butter is so deep that I could not even get a plastic knife from him that had peanut butter on it.
Now on to Gabby…I am not sure how old she is but the veterinarian has guessed that she is probably a year going on two and she has been with me since June of last year. She was pregnant and abandoned at my job and I was able to work with a local shelter to find good homes for her six kittens, but not her, so she remains at my house.
Gabby spends most of her day napping on the porch, finding a good place to hide, and annoying Shakespeare. She annoys him by twisting around in the curtains, meowing at him when he is trying to relax, and playing with his toys…he completely hates it when she plays with his toys. But he doesn’t always pay attention and sometimes she sneaks in a little play time anyway.
These two definitely keep me on my toes and I am always concerned about what I feed them. I try to make sure that I am giving them the best pet food that I can and when it comes to pet treats I usually just make them myself. These sweet potato dog treats are Shakespeare’s favorite, but Gabby likes them as well. Now I am by no means an expert so be sure to check with your vet before giving these to your pets.
Hope your fur baby enjoys!
*Recipe adapted from Sweet Potato Soul
Got any comments, questions, or ideas for Sweet Potato Dog Treats? Share them in the comments below!
Sweet Potato Dog Treats
- ¾ cup coconut flour
- ¼ cup plain peanut butter
- 1 flax egg (2 Tablespoons flax meal + 4 Tablespoons water)
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- ½ cup + 1 tablespoon sweet potato puree
- Preheat the oven 350 degrees F. and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Make the flax egg in a small bowl by combining 2 tablespoons of ground flax meal with 4 tablespoons of water. Allow the flax egg to sit for a few minutes to thicken while you begin making the treats.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the coconut flour, peanut butter, coconut oil, sweet potato puree, and the flax egg. Stir until it comes together in a dough and then mix by hand until it all comes together. Place on a large piece of parchment paper and cover with another piece of parchment paper and roll out ¼-inch thick using a rolling pin.
- Use cookie cutters to make the treats and place them on the prepared baking sheet. Place in the oven and bake for 12 to 15 minutes, until they turn golden brown. Place on a cooling rack to allow the sweet potato dog treats to cool completely prior to serving. Store in an airtight container.
*All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe and nutritional value will vary depending on the brands used, measuring methods and portion sizes per household.