This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Oatmeal Cream Pies is the perfect homemade version of a classic childhood treat. Two soft oatmeal cookies sandwiched together with sweet buttery cream.
It is almost that time for the kids to head back to school and I can share with you that one of the good things about having a senior this year is that all I have to do is hand him some money and he is responsible enough to go and purchase the things that he needs for school. Speaking of having a kid that is entering the 12th grade, I received the information for him to take his senior pictures and I have to admit that I sat there and stared at it for a few minutes in disbelief. I still cannot believe that my son is entering his final year of high school. I will probably be saying that to you a lot over the next few months, so I am asking for your forgiveness and understanding in advance.
Another thing that gets us in the mindset of back to school is food. Making sure the kids have a balanced breakfast before they head out, hoping they will make good decisions at lunch if you don’t pack their lunch, and preparing dinner in the limited amount of time during the week. All of this can be a bit much and so over the next few weeks, I plan to share some recipes that will help you out with that.
I will be sharing with you at least 3 things that you can prepare in a short amount of time for breakfast, lunch, after-school snacks, and a few quick meals in between. I am excited about this because they will also be meal prep options that you can prep ahead of time to enjoy throughout the week.
The first post of the series will be Breakfast and I will be sharing with you on Monday my recipe for Fridge Forage Breakfast Burritos, these are a family favorite, Freezer Oatmeal Cups, and a hearty Breakfast Bagel Sandwich. These options are perfect for the whole family and are some great options to take with you on the go. If you cannot already tell…I love breakfast!
However, in the spirit of back to school and to kick off the series let’s celebrate with some delicious Oatmeal Cream Pies that definitely remind me of the treats that my mom would pack in my lunchbox as a child except these are much bigger and homemade.
Oatmeal Cream Pies
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups old fashioned oats
- 1 1/2 sticks butter, softened
- 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon milk
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, salt, and set aside.
- In a large bowl with a mixer, cream together the butter and both sugars until light and fluffy.
- Add in the eggs and vanilla and continue mixing until combined.
- Slowly add in the flour mixture to the batter until combined and then add in the oats.
- Using a large cookie scoop, scoop out the cookie dough and add to the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake the cookies for 12 to 15 minutes or until they are golden brown.
- Allow the cookies to rest on the baking sheet for a few minutes before removing and placing on the cooling rack.
- To make the filling, in a medium bowl using a mixer, beat the butter until smooth and slowly add in the powdered sugar until combined. Add in the vanilla and milk and mix thoroughly.
- Once the cookies have cooled completely, pipe the cream filling on the flat side of one cookie and place another cookie on top to form the oatmeal cream pie.
Got any comments, questions, or ideas about these Oatmeal Cream Pies? Share them in the comments below!