This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Gingerbread Whoopie Pies is a quick and easy recipe for a delicious homemade cream-filled treat. You have to make these to share during the holidays!
Lately, I’ve been really enjoying the weather.
The cooler temperature makes for more activities outdoors this time of year. I also love all the ingredients of the season that begin to show up such as eggnog and gingerbread.
There is something about this time of year when you find yourself craving anything with either eggnog or gingerbread. Now I get the reason why eggnog because this is the time of year when it is readily available, but what about gingerbread?
Those ingredients are available all year round yet most of us only make it or see in available in our stores and bakeries during this time of year. Perhaps it is simply due to tradition or that the holiday time is the only time in which we care to spend time making gingerbread. Either way, I have a recipe that I will share with you today that puts a different spin on gingerbread. Now let me warn you in advance that these cookies are addictive and you may find yourself unable to eat just one.
What Ingredients for Gingerbread Whoopie Pies?
- all-purpose flour
- baking soda
- ground ginger
- granulated sugar
- dark molasses
- vegetable oil
- hot water
- cream cheese
- powdered sugar
- vanilla extract
How to Make this Gingerbread Whoopie Pie Recipe:
In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together all of the dry ingredients (flour, baking soda, ground ginger, cinnamon, salt, and sugar).
Then mix together the molasses, vegetable oil, and egg with the flour mixture until thick, stiff, and pretty difficult to stir. This process can be done by hand or using a stand mixer.
Carefully stir in the hot water, this will smooth out the batter, and make it much easier to stir. If mixing by hand please be careful. If using a stand mixer, turn on low speed before adding.
Scoop the cookies onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. The cookies can be about one ounce each or smaller.
Bake at for about 12 minutes. They will still be soft due to a whoopie pie is a cross between a cake and a cookie.
Allow them to cool in the pan for about 15 minutes and then remove and cool entirely on a rack while preparing the filling. You may stop here and have some amazing gingerbread cookies!
For Filling, mix together the cream cheese, powdered sugar, butter, milk, and vanilla until fluffy and smooth.
Then add the filling on the smooth side of one of the cookies, top with a second cookie to make a sandwich. The easiest way is to pipe the filling with a pastry bag, but feel free to use a spoon.
Gingerbread Whoopie Pies
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 ¼ teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup dark molasses
- 1 large egg, beaten
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil
- ⅓ cup hot water
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2 ½ cups powdered sugar
- ¼ cup butter
- 2 teaspoons milk (or cream)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together all dry ingredients (flour, baking soda, ground ginger, cinnamon, salt, and sugar).
- Then with a spoon or spatula stir in molasses, vegetable oil and egg until thick, stiff, and pretty difficult to stir.
- Stir in boiling water, this will smooth out the whoopie pie batter, and make it much easier to stir.
- Scoop the cookies onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Cookies can be about one ounce each.
- Bake at 350ºF for about 12 minutes. They will still be soft due to a whoopie pie is a cross between a cake and a cookie.
- Allow them to cool in the pan for about 15 minutes and then remove and cool entirely on a rack while preparing the filling.
- For Filling-With electric mixer, mix together cream cheese, powdered sugar, butter, milk, and vanilla until fluffy and smooth.
- Then add to cookies and make a sandwich with two sizes that match. The easiest way is to pipe the filling with a pastry bag, but feel free to use a spoon.
- Store any leftovers in an airtight container at room temperature up to 4 days.
Want more Holiday Dessert Recipes? Try These:
Have any comments, questions, or other delicious ideas for these Gingerbread Whoopie Pies? Please share them in the comments below!