This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Satisfy your sweet cravings with these Flaxseed Scones that are filling, loaded with cranberries, and have a crunchy raw sugar crust.
I <3 scones!
I also love breakfast and bread in general, but we are not going to talk about those today because today is all about scones.
There was a time when I was afraid to even give scone making a try. The recipe just seemed excessively complicated to me. Not to mention that each recipe I read would always caution against over mixing in order to prevent hard dough knots instead of soft chewy scones. I will admit that I can sometimes get a little carried away with my mixing…please tell me that I am not the only one.
The first time I made scones they turned out okay, but the second time they were much better and I found my rhythm and realized that scones are basically biscuits and biscuits I definitely know how to make. Once I mastered the basic recipe, I was able to build on that by adding in other ingredients such as the Maple Pecan Scones, which are still a favorite. Scones can also be sweet or more savory depending on what you choose to add into the mix.
Recently I was thumbing through the cookbook Top with Cinnamon, by Izy Hossack, which is one of my Amazon finds for less than $8.00. In the cookbook was a recipe for Flaxseed Scones and I decided to give the recipe a try, but I decided to make mine with whole wheat flour instead and I also added in an extra ½ teaspoon of baking powder to give the scones a little more rise. They turned out very hearty and delicious, but not too sweet, which is perfect to top with some sweet apricot preserves while they are still hot from the oven.
- 2 cups whole wheat flour (or all-purpose flour)
- 4 tablespoons ground flaxseed
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cold unsalted butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup raw sugar, for topping
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, flaxseed, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- Add in the butter and use your fingers to crumble into small pieces in the flour mixture, until it resembles a course meal.
- Stir in the cranberries and make a well in the middle of the dough and add in the egg and buttermilk.
- Stir together until combined.
- Turn out the dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead a few times before rolling into a square about 3/4-inch thick.
- Cut the dough into squares using a sharp knife and place onto the prepared baking sheet. Space 1-inch apart.
- Brush the tops of each scone with a little buttermilk and sprinkle with raw sugar.
- Place into the oven and bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until the scones have risen and browned.
Got any comments, questions, or ideas for other Flaxseed Scones? Share them in the comments below!