This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Satisfy your sweet cravings with these Flaxseed Scones that are filling, loaded with cranberries, and have a crunchy raw sugar crust. Perfect to serve for breakfast or brunch.
I love scones! I also love breakfast and bread in general, but we are not going to talk about that today because today is all about scones. There was a time when I was afraid to even give scone making a try. The recipe just seemed too excessively complicated to me. Not to mention that each recipe I read would always caution against over mixing in order to prevent hard dough knots instead of soft chewy scones. I will admit that I can sometimes get a little carried away with my mixing, please tell me I’m not the only one?
The first time that I made scones they turned out okay. The second time they were much better and I found my rhythm and realized that scones are basically biscuits. Biscuits, I definitely know how to make!
Once I mastered the basic scone recipe, I was able to build on that by adding in other ingredients such as the Maple Pecan Scones, which are still a favorite. Scones can also be sweet or savory depending on what you choose to add to the mix.
Recently I was thumbing through the cookbook Top with Cinnamon, by Izy Hossack, which is one of my Amazon finds for less than $8.00. The price has changed since I purchased it, but you can still find it used at a great price. Anyway, in the cookbook, there is a recipe for flaxseed scones and I decided to give the recipe a try, but I decided to make mine with whole wheat flour instead and I also added in an extra ½ teaspoon of baking powder to give the scones a little more rise. They turned out very hearty and delicious, but not too sweet, which is perfect to top with your favorite preserves while they are still warm straight from the oven.
WHAT INGREDIENTS ARE NEEDED TO MAKE SCONES WITH FLAXSEED?
- Whole wheat flour
- Ground flaxseed or flax meal
- Baking powder
- Dried cranberries
- Raw sugar
HOW TO MAKE THIS FLAXSEED SCONE RECIPE?
- 2 cups whole wheat flour (or all-purpose flour)
- 4 tablespoons ground flaxseed
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup cold unsalted butter, cubed
- ½ cup dried cranberries
- 1 large egg
- ½ cup buttermilk
- ¼ cup raw sugar, for topping
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the 2 cups whole wheat flour, 4 tablespoons ground flaxseed, 2 tablespoons granulated sugar, 2 ½ teaspoons baking powder, and ½ teaspoon salt.
- Add in the ½ cups cold cubed butter and use your fingers to crumble into small pieces, in the flour mixture, until it resembles a coarse meal.
- Stir in the ½ cup dried cranberries and make a well in the middle of the dough and add in the 1 large egg and ½ cup buttermilk.
- Stir together until combined.
- Turn out the dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead a few times before rolling into a square about ¾-inch thick.
- Cut the scone dough into squares using a sharp knife and place onto the prepared baking sheet. Space each scone at least 1-inch apart.
- Brush the tops of each scone with a little extra buttermilk and sprinkle with ¼ cup raw sugar.
- Place into the oven and bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until the scones have risen and slightly browned. Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days.
Original post date 07/17/2017. Updated 06/16/2021. Updated photos are by Gabby of Cookie Dough Diaries.
Want a few more simple scone recipes? Try these:
Have any comments, questions, or other delicious ideas for these Flaxseed Scones? Please share them in the comments below!