Easy Hot Chocolate Mix is a simple and sweet way to enjoy a homemade cup of hot chocolate in minutes. It can be stored to use anytime of given as a gift this holiday season.
It is that time of the year!
You know that time of the year when the temperature drops and fallen leaves are everywhere.
That time of year where you find yourself enjoying the comfort of a warm beverage on a cold day. In other words, it is a great time to savor some hot chocolate, with or without marshmallow.
Now if you find yourself still buying and using the hot chocolate that comes in a box or packet, then first let me tell you that I will not judge you for doing so, but you can also make your own with a few simple ingredients that you probably already have in your kitchen.
What ingredients are needed for Hot Chocolate Mix?
- Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- Granulated Sugar
- Milk, any kind that you prefer.
How to Make the Best Hot Chocolate Mix Recipe:
In an air-tight container or jar with a lid, combine 1 part unsweetened cocoa powder with 2 parts of granulated sugar. For example, 2 cups granulated sugar and 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder.
Then you will stir to combine and cover with the lid until you are ready to use.
When you are ready to enjoy a cup of hot chocolate, simply mix together 1 tablespoon of the hot chocolate mixture with 1 cup of milk or water, heat, and enjoy!
Is cocoa powder and hot chocolate mix the same?
No, they are not. Cocoa powder is made from cocoa beans with no sugar added or other ingredients. It may have a bitter taste and will not make a sweet cup of hot chocolate if used. Hot chocolate mix is a mixture of cocoa powder, sugar, and other ingredients to make a cup of ready to drink hot chocolate. Hot chocolate mix will not need any additions and plain cocoa powder probably will.
What can I use if I don’t have cocoa powder?
If you do not have cocoa powder, you may substitute carob powder or cacao powder in the same unit of measurement. Cocoa powder is probably the easiest to find in the aisle with the baking goods in the grocery store. Carob and cacao may require a trip to the health food store or speciality food market.
Feel free to enjoy your cup of hot chocolate with topped with marshmallow or whipped cream.
Easy Hot Chocolate Mix
- Storage container or jar with a lid
- 1 teaspoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 1 cup water or milk, any kind that you prefer.
- In an air-tight container or jar with a lid, combine 1 part unsweetened cocoa powder with 2 parts of granulated sugar. For example, 2 teaspoons granulated sugar and 1 teaspoon unsweetened cocoa powder to a single serving.
- To make a larger batch try 2 cups granulated sugar and 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder.
- Then you will stir to combine and cover with the lid until you are ready to use.
- When you are ready to enjoy a cup of hot chocolate, simply mix together 1 tablespoon of the hot chocolate mixture with 1 cup of milk or water, heat, and enjoy!
*All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe and nutritional value will vary depending on the brands you use, measuring methods and portion sizes per household.
Want more delicious drink recipes? Try these:
- Chai Latte
- Eggnog Latte
- Matcha Latte
- Almond Milk Frappe
Have any comments, questions, or other delicious ideas for this Easy Hot Chocolate Mix? Please share them in the comments below!
Leave a Reply