This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Coffee Cake Muffins – This small batch of muffins transforms classic coffee cake with a cinnamon streusel topping in the center for the perfect treat.
The most acceptable way to have cake for breakfast is of course to have coffee cake.
I mean when you really think about it, isn’t the person that made this a complete genius. You get to have a delicate buttery cake topped with a sweet crumbly streusel topping to start the day with and it pairs perfectly with coffee. The only complaint that I have with coffee cake if you can even call it a complaint, is that coffee cake is not the most portable item to take with you on the go. I say this because you have to cut a piece of the cake and then you have the challenge of picking it up and eating it with your hands or with a fork.
We already know that neither of these options will work very well when you are on the go, but if you can make it into a muffin then that would be the way to go, but even with that you still have to deal with the streusel topping. That is unless you could put the streusel topping into the middle of the muffin and that is exactly how we ended up here with these coffee cake muffins.
These coffee cake muffins may look like plain ole muffins from the outside, but do not let that fool you because these muffins have everything that you need for a coffee cake. The delicate buttery muffin has the creaminess from the addition of the Greek yogurt and a sweet crunchy streusel layer in the center.
These muffins are also on the lighter side in flavor, which pairs it perfectly with any coffee beverage without being overpowering, and it travels very well to get you going on your way with no fuss and no mess. If you give this recipe a try then please let me know in the comment section below or tag me on social media @simplylakita so I can see your delicious looking muffins.
Coffee Cake Muffins
- ⅓ cup sugar
- ⅓ cup plus 8 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 8 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ⅛ teaspoon baking powder
- ⅛ teaspoon baking soda
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, cubed
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons Greek yogurt
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. and line a muffin pan with 4 to 5 liners or spray the muffin pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- Using a food processor, pulse together ⅓ cup sugar, 8 teaspoons all-purpose flour, and 4 teaspoons brown sugar until combined.
- Remove 2 tablespoons of the mixture and place into a small bowl and set aside.
- To the two tablespoons that you removed whisk in 4 teaspoons brown sugar and 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon until combined, set aside.
- To the mixture left in the food processor, add in ⅓ cup all-purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and pulse until combined.
- Add the butter and pulse until the mixture resembles a coarse meal.
- Add the egg, Greek yogurt, and continue to pulse until the mixture is combined making sure to stop and scrape the sides of the food processor as necessary.
- Pour a generous tablespoon of the muffin mixture into each of the muffin liners, top with a tablespoon of the cinnamon mixture, and top with the remaining muffin mixture divided evenly. If you have any of the cinnamon mixture left sprinkle it on top.
- Place the muffins in the oven and bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean. Allow the muffins to cool for about 10 minutes on a wire rack prior to serving.
*Recipe adapted from America’s Test Kitchen
Got any comments, questions, or other ideas for these Coffee Cake Muffins? Share them in the comments below!