This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Easy sticky buns made with 7 ingredients that require no time to rise. Fast, simple, sticky and delicious. Perfect for lazy weekend mornings.
The sticky bun is this amazingly soft, sweet, and sticky treat. Just in case you have never heard of them before, think of them as the cross between a cinnamon roll and a honey bun, just covered in way more sugary glaze. If I had to describe the taste to you with a little more detail, then I would say they are sweet, nutty, soft, spicy, and oh so sticky!
These sticky buns get their ooey-gooey glaze from a warm mixture of melted butter, brown sugar, corn syrup, and a small amount of fresh lemon juice. The mixture is then spread on the bottom of a baking dish and topped with some roughly chopped walnuts for a bit of crunch.
Normally when you make fresh buns, it would require them to begin like any other homemade bread and that is with yeast, but this recipe cuts that part out with the use of refrigerated crescent rolls. I believe you will appreciate that part because there is no need to wait for the yeast to proof and the buns to rise prior to baking. You then must roll out the crescent roll dough and make sure that you seal all of the perforated edges together to make a solid rectangle for the cinnamon sugar mixture.
You will then begin to roll the short end of the dough rectangle tightly up to the other shorter end of the dough to form a log-shaped roll that you will cut into even circular pieces. This process is similar to when you are making regular cinnamon rolls or a jellyroll. You will then add the rolls into the prepared baking dish on top of the sugar walnut mixture.
Once the sticky buns are removed from the oven, you will have to wait a few minutes to allow them to cool in the pan because these buns will be very hot. You can then spoon any extra mixture in the dish on top of the sticky buns and invert onto a baking sheet prior to serving.
- 2 1/2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/3 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1 tube refrigerated crescent rolls (I used Big & Buttery)
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat the oven 375 degrees F.
- In a small saucepan on low heat, melt the butter and stir in ¼ cup brown sugar, corn syrup, and the lemon juice. Increase the heat to medium and whisk the mixture until the sugar melts and the mixture begins to boil.
- Spray a square baking pan with non-stick cooking spray and pour the sugar mixture into the baking pan. Top with the chopped walnuts and set aside.
- On a clean lightly floured work surface, roll out the crescent rolls and press the perforated edges together. Roll into a rectangle and sprinkle the dough with ¼ cup brown sugar and the cinnamon.
- Begin tightly rolling the short side up to the other short side and cut into even pieces.
- Arrange the rounds in the baking pan on top of the walnuts and place into the oven and bake for 15 to 20 minutes, until the buns lightly brown. Allow the sticky buns to cool in the pan for a few minutes and serve inverted.
Got any comments, questions, or ideas for this Sticky Buns recipe? Share them in the comments below!