This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
These easy sticky buns are made with 7 simple ingredients and require no time to rise. Fast, simple, sticky and delicious. Perfect for a lazy weekend morning.
The sticky bun is this amazingly soft, sweet, and sticky treat. Just in case you have never heard of them before, think of them as the cross between a cinnamon roll and a honey bun, just covered in way more sugary glaze. If I had to describe the taste to you with a little more detail, then I would say they are sweet, nutty, soft, spicy, and oh so sticky!
These sticky buns get their ooey-gooey glaze from a warm mixture of melted butter, brown sugar, corn syrup, and a small amount of fresh lemon juice. The mixture is then spread on the bottom of a baking dish and topped with some roughly chopped walnuts for a bit of crunch.
What is the difference between homemade buns and sticky buns?
Normally when you make fresh buns, it would require them to begin like any other homemade bread and that is with yeast, but this recipe cuts that part out with the use of refrigerated crescent rolls. I believe you will appreciate that part because there is no need to wait for the yeast to proof and the buns to rise prior to baking. You then must roll out the crescent roll dough and make sure that you seal all of the perforated edges together to make a solid rectangle for the cinnamon-sugar mixture.
What ingredients for easy sticky buns?
- Crescent rolls
- Brown sugar
- Light corn syrup
- Lemon juice
How to Make Homemade Sticky Buns:
Begin the recipe by preheating the oven and grabbing a square baking dish. Spray the baking dish with cooking spray and set aside. In a small saucepan, over low heat add in the butter and allow it to melt. Add in the brown sugar, corn syrup, lemon juice, and increase the stovetop heat to medium. Whisk the mixture until the brown sugar melts and the mixture thickens and comes to a boil.
Pour the mixture into the prepared baking dish. Top evenly with the chopped walnuts. Set aside the baking dish while working with the crescent rolls.
Roll out the crescent rolls on a clean and lightly floured work surface. Press the perforated edges together and use a rolling pin to form an even rectangle. Sprinkle with the rest of the brown sugar and ground cinnamon evenly all over the top of the dough.
Next, you will then begin to roll the short end of the dough rectangle tightly up to the other shorter end of the dough to form a log-shaped roll that you will cut into even circular pieces. This process is similar to when you are making regular cinnamon rolls or a jellyroll.
You will then add the cut rolls into the prepared baking dish on top of the brown sugar and walnut mixture.
Place the sticky buns in the oven to bake 15 to 20 minutes. Once the sticky buns are removed from the oven, you will have to wait a few minutes to allow them to cool in the pan because these buns will be very hot. You can then spoon any extra mixture in the dish on top of the sticky buns and invert onto a baking sheet prior to serving.
- 2 1/2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/3 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1 tube refrigerated crescent rolls (Classic or Big & Buttery)
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat the oven 375 degrees F.
- In a small saucepan on low heat, melt the butter and stir in ¼ cup brown sugar, corn syrup, and the lemon juice. Increase the heat to medium and whisk the mixture until the sugar melts and the mixture begins to boil.
- Spray a square baking pan with non-stick cooking spray and pour the sugar mixture into the baking pan. Top with the chopped walnuts and set aside.
- On a clean lightly floured work surface, roll out the crescent rolls and press the perforated edges together. Roll into a rectangle and sprinkle the dough with ¼ cup brown sugar and the cinnamon.
- Begin tightly rolling the short side up to the other short side and cut into even pieces.
- Arrange the rounds in the baking pan on top of the walnuts and place into the oven and bake for 15 to 20 minutes, until the buns lightly brown. Allow the sticky buns to cool in the pan for a few minutes and serve inverted.
Need a few more easy dessert recipes? Try these:
Have any comments, questions, or other delicious ways to use these Easy Sticky Buns? Please share them in the comments below!