This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Rum Cake Recipe - On a recent trip to the Virgin Islands I was able to pick up some local rum and so I decided to share a cake recipe with you today on the blog.
Remember I recently shared with you that every Monday during the month of April I would be sharing with you some of my Caribbean vacation photos as well as a recipe using some of the ingredients that I was able to pick up while on my trip. Just in case you missed that post, then you can check it out here and if you missed the first stop on the trip to the Dominican Republic then I will share the link for that post here.
The second stop on our 7-day vacation was to St. Thomas, Virgin Islands.
This was my favorite place on the entire vacation. The ocean water, sand, and sun were absolutely beautiful and since the island is part of the U.S. Virgin Islands then it certainly had that U.S. feel. The people were extremely friendly and we were able to take a tour of the island and participate in a rum tasting.
At the rum tasting (the adults) were able to sample so many different flavors of rum including coconut, passion fruit, mango, vanilla, and pineapple just to name a few. Now some of the flavors I really enjoyed and others...well let's just say...not so much. I think my favorite was the coconut rum and that is the one that I chose to bring a bottle back home with me and use in today's recipe.
Since I picked up some local rum on this stop, I decided to share with you a delicious recipe for a rum cake. This cake is so moist and don't let the addition of rum shy you away from it because you really cannot even taste the rum in the cake. The cake really reminds me of pound cake and so if you love pound cake then you will certainly love this cake as well.
- Bundt Pan
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- dash of salt
- 1 ½ cups unsalted butter, softened
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 cup rum
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Preheat the oven 350 degrees F. and grease and lightly flour a tube/bundt pan and set aside.
- In a small bowl whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and set aside.
- In a separate medium-sized mixing bowl, beat the sugar and butter together until it is creamy and light.
- Add in the vanilla, eggs, and egg yolks and continue mixing until well combined. Beat in the rum and lemon zest. Slowly add, alternately, the flour mixture and heavy cream.
- Pour the cake mixture into the prepared pan and bake for 1 hour or until a cake tester comes out clean.
- Cool the cake in the pan on a cooling rack for 15 minutes and then remove the cake from the pan and allow it to cool completely on the rack. Slice and serve.
*All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe and nutritional value will vary depending on the brands you use, measuring methods and portion sizes per household.
Got any comments, questions, or other ideas for Rum Cake? Share them in the comments below!