This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Pear Walnut Blue Cheese Salad is a fresh and delicious mixed green salad with candied walnuts, freshly sliced pear, a homemade salad dressing, and topped with a crumble of blue cheese.
Salads can usually end up one of two ways. It is either boring with lettuce and a couple of tomatoes that officially make it a salad and not just a pile of lettuce or it is full of intense flavor, texture, and lots of good stuff. Of course, I prefer the latter kind of salad instead and this pear walnut blue cheese salad is indeed that kind of salad.
First things first are eating a salad that is full of intense flavor. Buttery candied crunchy walnuts combined with sweet juicy sliced fresh pears, tangy dried cranberries, and topped with a crumble of blue cheese.
The base and texture of this salad is a bag of your favorite mixed salad greens. I chose to use a mixture of baby spinach, arugula, and radicchio. I love the combination of these three together and it makes me feel like I am eating a healthier salad that is loaded with tasty greens and various textures.
But no, no, no it does not just stop there because this salad is also tossed with a homemade salad dressing that is super easy to make, light, and not overpowering. All you need to make this salad dressing is the juice of a lemon, some lemon zest, olive oil, a clove of garlic, salt, and Dijon mustard.
Add all of those ingredients into a blender or food processor and process everything together until it is comes out creamy and smooth. This is a simple flavorful salad dressing that only takes minutes to make and can be used on any salad that you plan to make in the future.
So much flavor is packed into this salad that it could never be boring and is totally delicious. Try it!
What ingredients are needed to make this easy salad recipe?
- Mixed salad greens
- Fresh pears
- Candied walnuts
- Dried cranberries
- Blue cheese crumbles
- Lemon, juice and zest
- Olive oil
- Dijon mustard
How to make a pear walnut and blue cheese salad:
Using a medium skillet on medium-high heat, add in the butter and once it begins to melt add in the sugar, water, and walnuts.
Stir continuously for about 5 minutes and transfer the candied walnuts to a parchment-lined baking sheet in a single even layer and allow them to cool and harden.
In a blender or food processor, add in the lemon juice, lemon zest, garlic, Dijon mustard, olive oil, and salt. Blend or pulse until the salad dressing is completely smooth.
Clean and dry the package of mixed salad greens. Place the prepared greens into a large bowl and begin to assemble the whole salad. Clean and slice the pears and add on top of the salad greens. Add in the candied walnuts and dried cranberries.
Drizzle on as much of the salad dressing as you would prefer and toss the salad until everything comes together. Top with the blue cheese crumbles and serve immediately.
Pear Walnut Blue Cheese Salad
- Candied Walnuts
- 1 tablespoon butter
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 cup walnuts
- Salad Dressing
- Juice of a lemon
- ¼ teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- ½ teaspoon Dijon mustard
- ½ cup olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 5 ounces mixed salad greens package
- 2 fresh pears, sliced
- 1 cup candied walnuts
- ⅓ cup dried cranberries
- ⅓ cup blue cheese crumbles (optional)
- Using a medium skillet over medium-high heat, add in the 1 tablespoon butter and once it begins to melt add in the ¼ cup granulated sugar, 1 tablespoon water, and 1 cups walnuts.
- Stir continuously for about 5 minutes and transfer the candied walnuts to a parchment lined baking sheet in a single even layer and allow them to cool and harden, about 15 minutes.
- In a blender or food processor, add in the lemon juice, ¼ teaspoon lemon zest, 1 clove of garlic, ½ teaspoon Dijon mustard, ½ cup olive oil, ¼ teaspoon salt, and blend or pulse until the salad dressing is completely smooth.
- Clean and dry the 5 ounce package of mixed salad greens. Place into a large bowl to assemble the salad. Clean and slice the 2 pears and add on top of the salad greens. Add in the 1 cup of candied walnuts and ⅓ cup dried cranberries.
- Drizzle on as much of the salad dressing as you would like and toss the salad until everything comes together. Top with the ⅓ cup blue cheese and serve immediately.
- Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator up to 3 days.
- There may be extra salad dressing left, store in the refrigerator in an airtight container or jar up to 7 days.
Want more simple salad and dressing ideas? Try these:
Have any comments, questions, or other delicious ideas for this Pear Walnut Blue Cheese Salad? Please share them in the comments below!