This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Want an Easy Homemade Pasta Sauce that can be made in minutes? Try this recipe that requires 8 simple ingredients that you probably already have in your kitchen. Forget the jar stuff, use it with pizza, pasta, and casseroles.
Want to make a cheap and easy homemade pasta sauce?
I got you!
This pasta sauce is so quick and easy to make and I love the idea that I know and have control over the ingredients that go into it.
Instead of dried herbs, feel free to use fresh basil, oregano, and rosemary if you would like. I also like to use organic canned crushed tomatoes, but you may use any version of canned tomatoes that you like and we’ll cover a little more on that a later. As I always say, it is your kitchen, so do whatever you want! You truly cannot mess this sauce up it is such a foolproof recipe.
This homemade pasta sauce is also so versatile that it can be used with pizza, pasta, vegetables, or really anything that requires pasta sauce.
Let’s get started.
What ingredients are needed for this pasta sauce recipe?
- Bay leaf
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper
How to make pasta sauce:
Begin the recipe by adding all of the ingredients into a saucepan.
Bring to a low boil, then cover and turn the heat down to low. Simmer for 15 to 20 minutes to allow the flavors to come together.
You can use the sauce immediately or store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 5 to 7 days or in the freezer up to 4 months.
What kind of canned tomatoes to use?
For this pasta sauce, you can really use any kind of canned tomatoes that you prefer. My favorite to use is crushed tomatoes because they break down easier creating a semi-smooth sauce. Pureed tomatoes will give you a creamy thinner sauce. Whole peeled tomatoes are great if you prefer a more chunky and full-body sauce. If you want an extremely chunky sauce, use diced tomatoes.
Want some recipes to use this homemade pasta sauce? Try these:
Easy Homemade Pasta Sauce
- 28 ounce can of crushed tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried rosemary
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 bay leaf
- salt and black pepper to taste
- pinch of sugar
- Add all ingredients into a medium saucepan and bring to a low boil on medium-high heat.
- Then cover, turn the heat down to low, and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes to allow all of those wonderful flavors to come together. Remove the bay leaf.
- Use immediately in your favorite recipe or store in the refrigerator in an air-tight container for 5 to 7 days or in the freezer up to 4 months.
Have any comments, questions, or other recipe ideas for this easy homemade pasta sauce? Please share in the comments below!