This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Hibachi Chicken is a restaurant-style protein that is tender, juicy, and flavorful. Made at home in minutes and can be enjoyed at any time. Make and share with the entire family.
Going to a hibachi or Japanese style steakhouse is one of my favorite places to go for casual dining. It is a place for good food plus a little bit of entertainment. However, for those time when I cannot make it out to the restaurant, I love making my favorite hibachi dishes at home.
That usually includes chicken. There is something about the way chicken is cooked on a hibachi grill that makes it tender, juicy, and flavorful. Now you may not have the luxury of having a large hibachi grill at home, but you can achieve the same savory flavor at home using a wok or large skillet.
What is hibachi style food?
Hibachi style food is a certain way that Japanese steakhouse type restaurants cook meat, vegetables, and rice. The food is usually cooked on high-heat hibachi grills by a chef/cook. In the restaurant, the grills are surrounded by seating making dining more of an experience instead of a simple meal. The literal meaning of hibachi is fire bowl and you can get the same style of food at home by making it yourself.
What do I use to cook easy hibachi chicken?
You may use a wok if you have it. For this recipe, I used an inexpensive wok that I purchased years ago on a shopping trip to Ikea. It heats up quickly and is big enough for me to move the ingredients around in the pan without making a big mess. The one that I have is no longer available from Ikea, but there are some that you can check out on their website. I was also able to find one on Amazon that is similar to the one that I have.
If you do not have a wok, then no worries as you can also use a large skillet or even a 12-inch cast iron skillet.
What ingredients for hibachi chicken?
- Soy sauce
- Sesame oil
- Ground black pepper
How to make homemade hibachi chicken:
Begin the recipe by preparing the chicken using a long sharp knife. Cut into large chunks to your preference and lightly season with salt and ground black pepper. Heat a wok or large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the oil and allow it to heat for a minute.
Add in the prepared chicken. Allow the chicken to cook for 1 to 2 minutes before tossing in the wok.
Pour in the soy sauce and toss to combine with the chicken.
Add the sesame oil and stir to combine. Allow the chicken to cook another 1 to 2 minutes.
Add in the butter and allow it to completely melt. Stir to combine the butter with the chicken to thoroughly coat the chicken.
- 1 pound boneless chicken breast
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Begin the recipe by preparing the 1 pound of boneless chicken using a long sharp knife. Cut into large chunks to your preference and lightly season with salt and ground black pepper.
- Heat a wok or large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the 2 tablespoons of oil and allow it to heat for a minute.
- Add in the prepared chicken. Allow the chicken to cook for 1 to 2 minutes before tossing in the wok.
- Pour in the 2 tablespoons soy sauce and toss to combine with the chicken.
- Add the 1 teaspoon of sesame oil and stir to combine. Allow the chicken to cook another 1 to 2 minutes.
Want recipes to use this Hibachi Chicken Recipe? Try these:
Have any comments, questions, or other delicious ways to use this hibachi chicken at home? Please share them in the comments below!