This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Yum Yum Sauce is the perfect combination of savory and sweet in a Japanese steakhouse staple. It can be used with chicken, shrimp, or fried rice. Give it a try to have hibachi night at home.
One of my favorite type of restaurants to visit for casual dining is any hibachi restaurant or Japanese steakhouse. It is a great way to have dinner and entertainment at the same time because the meal is prepared on a flat top grill right in front of you. The cooks usually grab your attention by turning a stack of sliced onion rounds into a flaming choo choo train or spinning around their big metal spatulas in interesting ways.
If you have never been then I definitely encourage you to give it a try. However, you can get the same flavors at home in your very own kitchen by making it yourself. This upcoming week I will be sharing with you a few of the popular recipes and the simple no-fuss way to create it yourself.
What recipes will LaKita be sharing?
- Yum Yum Sauce
- Fried Rice
- Hibachi Vegetables
- Hibachi Chicken
- Ginger Salad Dressing
- Hibachi Shrimp
- Hibachi Steak
- Japanese Steak Sauce
Today we’ll kick things off with my favorite pink sauce also known as yum yum sauce.
What is Yum Yum Sauce?
Yum yum sauce is a condiment that can be found at most hibachi restaurants. It is pink or pale orange in color and has a savory, sweet, and smoky flavor that goes perfect with fried rice, chicken, and shrimp. The sauce is creamy and loaded with seasoning.
What ingredients for this yum yum sauce recipe?
- Rice wine vinegar
- Garlic powder
- Ground ginger
- Dry mustard
- Smoked paprika
- Ground black pepper
How to make homemade yum yum sauce:
Place the mayonnaise in a small bowl.
Add in the water, rice wine vinegar, ketchup, and sriracha sauce and whisk together.
Add the granulated sugar, garlic powder, ground ginger, dry mustard, smoked paprika, ground black pepper, and salt.
Whisk all the ingredients together until thoroughly combined and smooth.
Store in a jar with a lid or airtight container with a lid in the refrigerator to use anytime.
Tips to make the best yum yum sauce:
- Use regular full fat mayonnaise. Substitutions may change the taste of this recipe.
- May substitute rice wine vinegar for distilled white vinegar.
- For a more spicy version simply increase the amount of sriracha.
- Store any unused sauce in the refrigerator in an airtight container or jar up to 1 week.
Yum Yum Sauce
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 teaspoons ketchup
- 1 teaspoon rice wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon sriracha
- 1 1/2 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper or white pepper
- In a small bowl, whisk together all the ingredients until combined and smooth.
- Store in an airtight container with a lid or jar in the refrigerator up to 5 days.
Want recipes to use this yummy sauce with? Try these:
Have any comments, questions, or other delicious ways to use this easy sauce? Please share them in the comments below!