Sweet Potato Dog Treats are quick and easy to make and the perfect treat to give your furry friend on a special day. They will definitely enjoy!
My dog Shakespeare celebrated becoming another year older this past week. He celebrated turning 5 years old in human years and I have to be honest that I almost completely forgot until the vet sent me an e-mail the day before reminding me to wish my fur baby a Happy Birthday!
I know…I’m a terrible dog parent…feel free to give me the side eye.
However I could not let the day pass without giving him a special treat like I do each year and spend a few moments reflecting on how great it has been to have a dog in my life and just in case you have never heard the story about how I became a pup parent in the first place, then I will link it here.
As a pup parent, I can tell you that having a dog in your home has so many great benefits.
- They are great company! Spending a few minutes with a dog can lift your mood and dramatically reduce your stress level. I mean seriously have you ever been to a pet store or rescue shelter and stood in the puppy area and not immediately felt the stress melting away after only a few seconds.
- Owning a dog has many health benefits such as lowering your blood pressure, reducing the risk of allergies in children, people that own dogs have been known to recover faster from illness than those without, and there has also been a study that suggests that dogs can even sniff out cancer in its early stages (talk about a lifesaver).
- They make us more social. Dog owners will interact more freely with other dog owners because they have something in common. If you are a pet owner, then I’m sure you have experienced a situation when you were out with your dog and your immediately strike up an effortless conversation with a complete stranger.
- Dogs make great alarms. They have amazing senses and can hear, see, and smell things long before you do. They are also keenly aware of threats and can keep you from potential dangers.
- They are excellent friends. Dogs are happy to see you each time you arrive home. It is always a celebration when you arrive no matter how long you may have been gone.
Sweet Potato Dog Treats Ingredients:
- 1/3 cup mashed sweet potato
- 1 Tablespoon water
- 2 Tablespoons peanut butter
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
Preheat the oven 350 degrees F. and line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
In a small bowl, whisk together the sweet potato, water, peanut butter and egg until smooth.
Next, add in the flour a little at a time until the batter sticks together. Then pinch off a small amount at a time and roll into a small ball and place on the prepared baking sheet. Continue to do this until all of the mixture is gone.
Place into the oven and bake until the edges are golden brown, about 20 minutes.
Allow to cool completely and give to your pup friend.
Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator and they will keep for 2 weeks. Store in the freezer for long term. This recipe yields a dozen treats but can be doubled.