This Cinnamon Roll Cake is a sweet and buttery cake that is easy to make, fluffy, and delicious. It's everything that you love about cinnamon rolls transformed into cake form.
Try making a batch of Cinnamon Rolls which is the inspiration for this recipe or a sweet stack of Cinnamon Roll Waffles if you're craving a sweet and delicious treat for breakfast.
If you love cinnamon rolls, then you will certainly love this cake recipe.
It is sweet, gooey, and loaded with cinnamon flavor. It is also simple to make with a few basic ingredients that you may already have in your kitchen. This cake is so delicious and perfect to make and share with family and friends or enjoy a piece all to yourself with a warm cup of coffee.
Either way, I'm sure you will enjoy this recipe so be sure to save it to make soon!
- All-purpose flour - Use plain flour for this recipe. No other flour substitutes have been tried.
- Baking powder - Be sure to check the date to make sure that it has not expired.
- Kosher salt - A small amount of kosher salt works best, but use any salt that you have on hand.
- Granulated sugar - May also use cane sugar to make the cake.
- Milk - Whole milk works best.
- Egg - One large egg is all that is needed to make this cake recipe.
- Butter - Melt the butter to use in the cake and make sure it is softened to use in the filling.
- Vanilla extract - Pure vanilla extract for the cake and the topping.
- Brown sugar - Use brown sugar for the filling of the cake, similar to a regular cinnamon roll.
- Ground cinnamon - Gives the cake that cinnamon flavor.
- Powdered sugar - Make the thick topping similar to cinnamon roll icing.
Begin the cake recipe by preheating the oven to 350 degrees F. and lightly spraying an 8x8-inch square baking pan with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside. In a small bowl, whisk together the all-purpose flour, baking powder, and kosher salt. Set this bowl aside.
Pour the mixture into the prepared square baking pan. Then set aside while you mix the cinnamon roll topping.
In a small bowl, using a whisk, combine the butter, all-purpose flour, and ground cinnamon until it is smooth. Pour evenly on top of the cake mixture in the baking pan. Place into the oven and bake 30 to 40 minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean.
Once you carefully remove the finished cake from the oven allow it to cool while preparing the glaze topping. In a small bowl, stir together the powdered sugar, milk, and vanilla extract until combined. Pour evenly over the cake while it is still warm and spread evenly over the top. Allow the cake to continue to cool in the baking pan on a wire rack before cutting to serve. Enjoy!
Store any leftover cake in an airtight container or cover the baking pan with a lid or foil and store in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. You may also store it at room temperature instead if you prefer for up to 2 days.
Cinnamon Roll Cake
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ¾ cup milk
- 1 large egg
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- ½ tablespoon ground cinnamon
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pour the cake mixture into the prepared square baking pan. Then set aside while you mix the cinnamon roll topping.
- Once you carefully remove the finished cake from the oven allow it to cool while preparing the glaze topping.
- In a small bowl, stir together the 1 cup powdered sugar, 2 tablespoons milk, and ½ teaspoon vanilla extract until combined. Pour evenly over the cake while it is still warm and spread evenly over the top. Allow the cake to continue to cool in the baking pan on a wire rack before cutting to serve. Enjoy!
*All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe and nutritional value will vary depending on the brands used, measuring methods and portion sizes per household.
Original post date 12/14/2015. Updated 11/08/2021. Updated photos are by Gabby of Cookie Dough Diaries
More Cinnamon Roll Recipes
Got any comments, questions, or other ideas for this Cinnamon Roll Cake? Please share them in the comments below!