This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Spicy Chickpea Gyros is a simple and delicious Mediterranean inspired recipe that is full of flavor and contains a tasty tzatziki sauce.
I have a new recipe that I am sure you’re going to love and that is Spicy Chickpea Gyros!
It is loaded with spicy flavored chickpeas.
Has a refreshing tzatziki sauce.
Is easy to make.
A full meal that comes together in minutes.
Previously on the blog, I shared my recipe for Spicy Chickpeas that is a delicious snack or can be added into just about anything. I have been indulging on these for years and recently decided to substitute them for the meat filling in my simple gyro recipe. Which I have also not shared with you on the blog. I will fix that today.
This recipe begins by preparing the chickpeas. For this part it is perfectly fine to use canned chickpeas, just make sure they are drained well and dry. Once they are drained, spread them out in a layer on a few paper towels to absorb the additional moisture. This step is extremely important because it will allow them to become crispy during the roasting process.
Once the chickpeas are dry, add in the olive oil and spices and stir to coat them evenly before spreading on a baking sheet. Bake them for 15 to 20 minutes and they will become golden and crispy. This step is followed by stirring together a fresh tzatziki using Greek yogurt, cucumber, dill, lemon juice, and garlic powder. Spread the tzatziki on half the pita bread. Top with the spicy chickpeas, green leaf lettuce, onion, and sliced tomato.
That is all that is required for this recipe to come together and in less than 30 minutes. Trust me this recipe is one of those that you absolutely must try. Save this recipe for later if you have to.
Spicy Chickpea Gyros
- 1 can chickpeas, drained
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups plain Greek yogurt
- 1 cup diced cucumber
- juice of half a small lemon
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon chopped dill
- 4 pita flatbreads
- ¼ small red onion, sliced into strips
- green leaf lettuce
- tomato slices
- Preheat the oven 400 degrees F. and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, pour the drained chickpeas and dry them with a paper towel.
- Add the olive oil, chili powder, smoked paprika, cayenne pepper, salt, pepper, and stir until the chickpeas are well coated.
- Pour the chickpeas onto the prepared baking sheet and spread them out into an even layer.
- Place into the oven and allow them to bake for 15 to 20 minutes; until golden and crispy on the outside.
- In a small bowl, make the tzatziki sauce by stirring together the yogurt, cucumber, lemon vinegar, garlic powder, and dill until combined.
- Assemble the gyro by spreading some tzatziki onto one side of the pita.
- Divide ¼ of the spicy chickpeas onto each pita followed by the onion, lettuce, and tomato.
- Fold in half and serve.
*All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe and nutritional value will vary depending on the brands you use, measuring methods and portion sizes per household.