This Lemon Blueberry Bread is a sweet and tangy bread that is topped with a deliciously sweet glaze. It is the perfect bread to enjoy with a cup of tea or coffee.
Can you imagine waking up early in the morning when the rest of the house is quiet? What about sitting with your thoughts before the day even begins? It is the best way to start the day in my opinion. Especially when you can add a warm cup of tea or coffee with a delicious baked good such as this lemon blueberry bread.
Doesn't all of that just sound perfect?
This sweet bread recipe is so simple to make and you probably already have most of the ingredients in your kitchen. It comes together in minutes and the combination of fresh blueberries with tart lemon juice and zest in a moist bread is the absolute best.
This recipe has three parts, which are the lemon blueberry bread, infused with a lemon syrup and topped with a lemon glaze. Trust me, there is so much flavor in this bread that you may want to save it all for yourself.
WHAT INGREDIENTS ARE NEEDED TO MAKE LEMON BREAD WITH BLUEBERRIES?
- All-purpose flour
- Baking powder
- Plain yogurt
- Lemon zest
- Lemon juice
- Vanilla extract
- Vegetable oil
- Blueberries, fresh or frozen
- Granulated sugar
- Powdered sugar
HOW TO MAKE THIS LEMON BREAD RECIPE?
Begin the recipe by preheating the oven to 350 degrees. Grease the bottom and sides of a 9x5-inch loaf pan, dust with all-purpose flour, and pour out any excess. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt. In a large bowl, whisk together the yogurt, sugar, eggs, lemon zest, vanilla, and oil.
Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet.
In a separate bowl mix the blueberries with 1 tablespoon of all-purpose flour and then gently fold them into the bread mixture.
Pour the mixture into the prepared loaf pan and bake 50 to 55 minutes, or until a cake tester or toothpick comes out clean. Allow the bread to cool in the pan for 10 minutes, and then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
While the loaf is cooling, combine the lemon juice and sugar in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir continuously until sugar is dissolved, and then continue cooking for another 3 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside. Use a toothpick to poke holes in the tops and sides of the warm loaf and brush with the lemon syrup. Continue to brush the loaf until all of the syrup is added. To make the lemon glaze, whisk together the powdered sugar and lemon juice and pour over the top of the loaf. Allow the lemon glaze to set before serving.
HOW TO STORE THIS LEMON LOAF RECIPE?
Be sure to store this bread in an airtight container at room temperature for 3 to 4 days. If you prefer to store it in the refrigerator, you may do that as well. Just allow time for it to come to room temperature before serving.
CAN FROZEN BLUEBERRIES BE USED IN THIS BREAD RECIPE?
Yes, you can use frozen blueberries for this recipe in the same unit of measure. Continue the same process of tossing the blueberries in all-purpose flour and you may need a few additional minutes of baking time.
Lemon Blueberry Bread
- loaf pan
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon additional all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ cups fresh or frozen blueberries
- ⅓ cup lemon juice
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 3 to 4 tablespoons lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease or spray with cooking spray, the bottom and sides of a 9×5-inch loaf pan, lightly dust with a little all-purpose flour, and tap off any excess. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour, 2 teaspoons baking powder, and ½ teaspoon salt.
- In a separate large bowl, whisk together the 1 cup plain yogurt, 1 cup granulated sugar, 3 large eggs, 2 teaspoons lemon zest, ½ teaspoon vanilla extract, and ½ cup vegetable oil.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet and stir until combined.
- In a separate bowl, mix the 1 ½ cups blueberries with the 1 tablespoon of all-purpose flour and then gently fold them into the bread mixture.
- Pour the bread mixture into the prepared loaf pan and bake 50 to 55 minutes, or until cake tester comes out clean.
- Once baking is complete, carefully remove the bread from the oven and allow the bread to cool in the pan for 10 minutes before completely transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- While the bread is cooling, combine the ⅓ cup lemon juice and ⅓ cup granulated sugar in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir continuously until sugar is completely dissolved, and then continue cooking for another 3 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside. Use a toothpick to poke holes in the tops and sides of the warm loaf and brush with the lemon syrup. Continue to brush the loaf until all of the syrup is added.
- To make the lemon glaze, whisk together the 1 cup powdered sugar and 3 to 4 tablespoons lemon juice and pour over the top of the loaf. Allow the lemon glaze set before serving. Enjoy!
- Store the bread in an airtight container at room temperature up to 3 days.
*All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe and nutritional value will vary depending on the brands used, measuring methods and portion sizes per household.
Original post date 07/22/2013. Updated 06/21/2021. Updated photos are by Gabby of Cookie Dough Diaries.
NEED A FEW MORE LEMON RECIPES? TRY THESE:
Have any comments, questions, or other ideas about this Lemon Blueberry Bread? Please share them in the comments below!