This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
California Roll Bowl is everything you like about this sushi in a bowl with cauliflower rice for a healthy option. Easy to make and delicious!
I cannot remember the first time that I ever gave sushi a try.
It was definitely many years ago and it was probably on a restaurant visit with a friend encouraging me to try something new. When it comes to food, I am open to giving almost anything a try at least once. If I like it, then I will add it to my food list and if not then I will simply log the memory and keep it moving. Honestly, there are not a whole lot of foods that I don’t like.
Recently on Instagram stories, I shared that I am not a fan of cooked, or broiled, tomatoes. It is a complete texture thing that I just cannot get past. The skin becomes soft and with a smoky flavor while the skin is firm with the center being juicy. There is just too much going on for me to enjoy cooked tomatoes. I do however enjoy tomatoes that are cooked in a sauce, soup, or dish. It’s just one of those things for me.
Anyway…back to sushi.
I gave it a try long ago and have been enjoying it ever since. My only problem is finding a partner to go eat sushi with. Most of my friends and family are not really into it. They cannot get past the raw fish part. No judgement. We all have our food quirks.
However, for me, it is the combination of so many flavors that I love. The first sushi that I ever tried was the California Roll. On the outside, it seems pretty basic with rice, imitation crab, avocado, and cucumber. When you put all of those ingredients together with the addition of soy sauce and spicy wasabi, you have a full flavor experience in one bite.
Now I have made sushi at home and even given the sushi burrito a try. But I can be a bit lazy at times and that is when a sushi bowl is perfect. For this, I also love substituting the rice portion for frozen cauliflower rice that makes the meal quick and easy. Try it!
California Roll Bowl
- 2 pkgs (20 ounces) frozen cauliflower rice
- 2 tablespoons seasoned rice vinegar
- 1 pkg (12 ounces) imitation crab meat
- 1 large cucumber, sliced
- 1 large avocado, sliced
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- 4 teaspoons sriracha
- pickled ginger
- seaweed snacks
- Place the frozen (steamable) packets of cauliflower rice in the microwave and bake according to package directions.
- Carefully pour into a medium bowl and while hot stir in the rice vinegar. Divide among small serving bowls.
- Top with the imitation crab meat, cucumber, and avocado.
- In a small bowl whisk together the mayonnaise and sriracha. Add to bowls.
- Top with pickled ginger, wasabi, and seaweed snacks. Serve immediately.