Easy Weeknight Macaroni and Cheese
This Easy Weeknight Macaroni and Cheese can be made in minutes and is better than the box version. Thick, rich, cheesy, and perfect for the whole family.
- 4 cups cooked elbow macaroni, drained
- 4 tablespoons butter, cut into pieces
- 1 cup milk
- 2 cups grated cheddar cheese, divided
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- ½ cup sour cream
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Once you have cooked and drained the elbow macaroni add it to an 8 x 8-inch square casserole dish.
In a medium saucepan on medium-low heat combine the butter, milk, cheese (reserve ¼ cup as a topping), eggs, sour cream, salt, and pepper until completely melted.
Pour liquid mixture on top of macaroni in the casserole dish and top with remaining cheese.
Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, until the top is golden and cheese is bubbly.
- Use bulk cheese and shred it yourself using a box grater. It will take a little extra time, but it melts so much better than the packaged shredded cheese.
- Don’t rinse the cooked pasta, it contains starch that will help to thicken the cheese sauce and allow it to stick to the pasta much better.
- Use quality cheese. Cheese is the star of any good macaroni and cheese recipe, so don’t be afraid to splurge on a high-quality cheese. Plus this recipe only calls for 2 cups which is about an 8-ounce block of cheese.
- Do not overcook. Remove the macaroni and cheese once the top is golden and the cheese is bubbly. It may still look soupy, but as it cools the sauce will thicken and it will be perfect.
Calories: 401kcal | Carbohydrates: 22g | Protein: 21g | Fat: 25g | Saturated Fat: 13g | Cholesterol: 350mg | Sodium: 467mg | Potassium: 218mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 968IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 277mg | Iron: 2mg