This old fashioned Southern Cornbread is moist, fluffy, and made in a cast iron skillet. It's a classic cornbread recipe that is best served warm straight from the oven with a pat of butter.
- 1 tablespoon shortening or vegetable oil
- 2 cups self-rising yellow cornmeal
- 1 ⅓ cups buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon butter plus extra for serving
Begin preparing the cornbread recipe by preheating the oven to 425 degrees F. and place a cast iron skillet with a tablespoon of shortening or vegetable oil in it inside the oven to heat while you prepare the cornbread.
In a large bowl, whisk together the 2 cups self-rising cornmeal, 1 ⅓ cups buttermilk, 1 large egg, and ¼ cup vegetable oil until combined. Set aside.
Carefully remove the cast iron skillet from the oven and add in the cornbread mixture. Spread it around evenly in the skillet before adding it back into the oven to bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until the top is golden and the edge has lightly browned.
Carefully remove the southern buttermilk cornbread from the oven and immediately use a fork to evenly spread the 1 tablespoon butter on top. If you can wait, allow it to cool in the cast iron skillet for about 5 to 10 minutes before serving it with some additional butter. Enjoy!
Be sure to allow the cornbread time to cool completely to room temperature before storing. Place any leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
- If you prefer not to use a cast iron skillet, then use a regular square baking dish instead. Lightly spray it with cooking spray and no need to preheat the baking dish before adding the cornbread mixture.
- Try not to overmix the cornbread mixture. Stir it just enough to combine the ingredients together and stop. Overmixing may result in tough cornbread.
- This recipe requires buttermilk for the best cornbread recipe. Try not to substitute it with anything else.
- Serve topped with some additional butter while it is still warm for the best results.
Calories: 219kcal | Carbohydrates: 33g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g | Monounsaturated Fat: 2g | Trans Fat: 0.3g | Cholesterol: 31mg | Sodium: 64mg | Potassium: 239mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 143IU | Calcium: 54mg | Iron: 2mg