White Cheddar Mac and Cheese
This easy stovetop recipe for White Cheddar Mac and Cheese creates a thick and creamy pasta dish that is so gooey and delicious. The perfect comfort food recipe.
- ¼ cup butter
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 2 cups heavy cream
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- ½ teaspoon granulated sugar
- dash of hot sauce
- 2 cups white cheddar, shredded
- 1 pound elbow pasta, cooked
Begin the recipe by cooking the 1 pound elbow pasta according to the package instructions. Once finished, drain the water from the pasta and set aside until ready to use.
Make the sauce in a large pot over medium-high heat, add the ¼ cup butter and allow it to melt. Add in the ¼ cup all-purpose flour and whisk to combine, about 1 minute.
Reduce the heat to medium-low and 1 cup add milk, 2 cups heavy cream, ½ teaspoon salt, ½ teaspoon ground black pepper, 1 teaspoon dry mustard, ½ teaspoon granulated sugar, and a dash of hot sauce. Continue whisking the sauce mixture until it is combined and begins to bubble, about 2 to 3 minutes.
Reduce the heat to low and add 2 cups shredded white cheddar. Stir until smooth and combined. Add in the 1 pound of cooked elbow pasta and stir just until combined.
Carefully remove the large pot from heat and allow it to sit for about 5 minutes to thicken. Serve warm and enjoy!
Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days and reheat on the stovetop or in the microwave before serving.
*Recipe adapted from Shugary Sweets
- Use freshly grated cheese instead of the bagged pre-shredded cheddar because it melts so much better and usually does not have any additional ingredients.
- Do not overcook the pasta. Undercook it a bit, until al dente and combine it into the sauce while it is still warm for better absorption. Try cooking the pasta and making the sauce at the same time.
- Stir the sauce constantly, I prefer to use a whisk because this will help prevent clumps and ensure a creamy cheese sauce.
Calories: 614kcal | Carbohydrates: 50g | Protein: 17g | Fat: 39g | Saturated Fat: 23g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g | Monounsaturated Fat: 9g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 114mg | Sodium: 407mg | Potassium: 260mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 1385IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 292mg | Iron: 1mg