Pasta with Brussels Sprouts and Squash
This simple fall inspired Pasta with Brussels Sprouts and Squash is ready in minutes with a blend of rotisserie chicken, butternut squash, brussels sprouts, and penne pasta.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped (about ⅓ cup)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons ground sage
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 cups butternut squash, cut into ½-inch cubes
- 2 cups brussels sprouts, each cut into quarters
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 16 ounces shredded rotisserie chicken
- 16 ounces penne pasta cooked
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese, grated
Begin the recipe by cutting and shredding up the rotisserie chicken and cooking the penne pasta al dente. Drain the pasta, but reserve some of the pasta water for later.
Add a large dry skillet to the stovetop over high heat. Once the pan is heated add in the 2 tablespoons olive oil. After the olive oil has heated thoroughly, add the 1 large chopped onion and 3 cloves minced garlic, stirring often. When the onion has softened and become translucent and the garlic is fragrant, add in the 2 teaspoons ground sage, ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg, 1 teaspoon salt, and ½ teaspoon ground black pepper.
Add the 2 cups butternut squash and 2 cups brussels sprouts. Continue cooking over high heat, stirring constantly until the vegetables begin to soften, for about 5 minutes.
Adjust the flame to medium heat and slowly pour in the 1 cup chicken broth and stir to combine, continue cooking for 3-4 minutes.
Next, add the 16 ounces rotisserie chicken and 16 ounces cooked pasta. If you need more liquid at this point add in the reserved cup of the pasta water if you find that you need more cooking liquid. Stir to fully combine.
Serve the pasta while it is still warm topped with ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese. Enjoy!
Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Tips to make the best pasta recipe:
- Cut the fresh butternut squash into ½-inch pieces, If you prefer to use precut butternut squash, feel free to use that as well to make the process go faster.
- Cut the brussels sprouts into quarter pieces so they evenly cook along with the butternut squash.
- Cook the penne pasta according to the package directions in a large pot of salted water. Once finished drain off the water and reserve a little bit of the pasta water.
- Use rotisserie chicken or omit it and use vegetable broth for a meatless pasta option.
- Top the finished pasta with grated Parmesan cheese or plain goat cheese for an additional layer of flavor.
- Before serving the pasta, add a sprinkle of red pepper flakes for a bit of heat or some lemon juice or lemon zest for an additional hint of acid.
Calories: 245kcal | Carbohydrates: 36g | Protein: 9g | Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 4g | Cholesterol: 8mg | Sodium: 690mg | Potassium: 380mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 5258IU | Vitamin C: 37mg | Calcium: 126mg | Iron: 2mg