Chicken Mozzarella Bake
Chicken Mozzarella Bake is an easy to make meal that is seasoned chicken breast, mozzarella cheese, and your favorite pasta sauce baked together in one skillet. Serve alone or over pasta for a complete meal in minutes.
- 1 ½ pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 ½ cups pasta sauce
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
Begin the recipe by preheating the oven to 375 degrees F. and season both sides of the 1 ½ pounds chicken breasts with salt and pepper.
Add the 2 tablespoons olive oil to a medium skillet, preferably one that can easily transfer to the oven to make this a one-pot meal. The skillet should be on medium-high heat.
Once the pan is hot add in the seasoned chicken. Sear the chicken on one side undisturbed for 5 minutes before flipping to the other side to cook for another 3 minutes.
Turn off the heat and carefully add the 1 ½ cups pasta sauce making sure to spoon sauce evenly over the chicken. Top evenly with the ½ cups Parmesan cheese and place into the oven to bake for 15 minutes.
Carefully remove the pan from the oven and spread the mozzarella cheese evenly on top of each piece of chicken.
Return to the oven and bake for an additional 10 minutes until cheese is melted and bubbly. If you prefer, you can place under the broiler for a few minutes until the 1 cup mozzarella cheese has lightly browned.
Remove from the oven and serve with your favorite pasta or on its own for a low carb option. Enjoy!
Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator up to 3 days.
- Baking time may vary depending on size and thickness of chicken, please check with a meat thermometer to make sure it is done at 165 degrees F.
- If you prefer not to sear the chicken in the pan, add the raw chicken into the skillet with the sauce and parmesan. Add an additional time of at least 10 minutes to the baking time.
- Use your favorite jar sauce or a homemade version.
Calories: 416kcal | Carbohydrates: 6g | Protein: 48g | Fat: 21g | Saturated Fat: 8g | Cholesterol: 142mg | Sodium: 1336mg | Potassium: 970mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 746IU | Vitamin C: 8mg | Calcium: 300mg | Iron: 2mg