Sloppy Joe Cornbread Casserole
This hearty and comforting Sloppy Joe Cornbread Casserole is an easy to make meal that is sure to satisfy the entire family. Loaded with sloppy joe beef, sweet cornbread, and cheddar cheese.
- 1 8.5 ounces cornbread mix
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, divided in half
- ⅓ cup milk
- 1 large egg
- 1 can cream-style sweet corn (14.75 ounces)
- 1 24 ounces sloppy joe sauce, divided in half
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 tablespoon butter
- ½ cup yellow onion, diced
- 1 large green bell pepper, chopped into smaller pieces
Begin the casserole recipe by preheating the oven to 400 degrees F. and lightly spray a 9x13-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
In a medium-sized bowl, add the 8.5 ounce package of cornbread mix, ½ cup of shredded cheddar cheese, ⅓ cup milk, 1 large egg, and a whole can (14.75 ounces) of cream-style corn. Stir well until combined. Pour into the prepared baking dish. Bake for about 15 minutes, until it begins to softly set.
While the cornbread is baking, heat a large skillet over medium heat and add 1 tablespoon of butter. Once the butter has melted, add the ½ cup chopped onion and chopped large bell pepper.
Cook until they begin to soften, about 2 to 3 minutes. Add the 1 pound ground beef to the skillet and cook until the beef is no longer pink. Drain off any excess fat if necessary.
Add half of the 24 ounce can of sloppy joe sauce to the pan along with the beef and cook until it is heated thoroughly. Carefully remove the cornbread from the oven and use a fork to prick holes all over the top of the cornbread.
Pour the remaining ½ of the sloppy joe sauce evenly over the top of the cornbread. Evenly add the meat sauce over the baked cornbread and top with the remaining ½ cup of cheddar cheese that is left.
Return the casserole to the oven and bake for about 10 to 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and serve the sloppy joe casserole while it is still warm. Enjoy!
- Use a box of your favorite cornbread mixture. I prefer to use an 8.5-ounce box for a thinner cornbread crust, but you may also use a 15-ounce mix as well for a thicker cornbread layer.
- Try not to overcook the cornbread mixture, it will finish cooking once the sloppy joe beef is added and it is returned to the oven.
- A traditional sloppy joe is made with ground beef, but you may substitute ground turkey if you prefer.
Calories: 215kcal | Carbohydrates: 14g | Protein: 18g | Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 3g | Trans Fat: 0.3g | Cholesterol: 78mg | Sodium: 314mg | Potassium: 363mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 357IU | Vitamin C: 20mg | Calcium: 128mg | Iron: 2mg