Italian Sausage and Bean Soup
Try making this Italian Sausage and Bean Soup this season! It's a quick and easy one-pot soup that cooks up in less than 30 minutes. Hearty and comforting for the whole family to enjoy.
- 1 pound ground Italian sausage (mild or hot)
- 24 ounces garlic and herb pasta sauce (or your favorite)
- 2 cans (15.8 ounces each) great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 3 cups water
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 ½ cups coleslaw mix
Begin the recipe by grabbing a large pot or dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the 1 pound ground Italian sausage and break it into smaller pieces. Cook until it is no longer pink, about 4 to 5 minutes. Drain off any excess fat if necessary before moving on to the next step.
In the same pot still over medium-high heat, add the 24 ounce jar of pasta sauce, 2 (15.8 ounces each) cans of great northern beans, 3 cups water, ½ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper. Stir to combine.
Once the soup comes to a boil, add the 1 ½ cups coleslaw mix and stir to combine. Reduce the heat to low, cover, and allow the soup to cook for an additional 10 to 15 minutes.
Serve the soup warm topped with some shredded parmesan cheese and a side of crusty bread. Enjoy!
If you have any soup leftovers, then be sure to store them in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to 4 days.
- Drain off any excess oil from the cooked Italian sausage, but just know that it may still end up in the soup. It's perfectly okay and adds a little additional flavor to the broth.
- Substitute chicken or beef broth or stock instead of using water for additional flavor.
- For this recipe, I prefer to use mild Italian sausage. However, you may swap it for spicy sausage for a little heat. To make the process easy, I like to use the package of loose ground sausage, but you may also use the links as well by removing the casings before cooking.
- This recipe makes enough soup to enjoy about 4 to 6 dinner portions. You may break it down into small or larger portions to fit your needs. It can also be cut in half for 2 to 3 servings.
- Before serving the soup, try topping it with some finely grated Parmesan cheese. Enjoy the soup on its own or pair it with a sandwich or side salad.
Calories: 294kcal | Carbohydrates: 8g | Protein: 12g | Fat: 24g | Saturated Fat: 9g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 3g | Monounsaturated Fat: 11g | Cholesterol: 57mg | Sodium: 1293mg | Potassium: 560mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 509IU | Vitamin C: 16mg | Calcium: 41mg | Iron: 2mg