Sweet and Sour Cabbage
This Sweet and sour cabbage is a simple side dish that combines fresh green cabbage and salty bacon with a delicious sweet and sour sauce. It's flavorful and perfect to pair with almost any meal.
Prep Time15 minutes mins
Cook Time15 minutes mins
Course: Side Dish
Keyword: sweet and sour cabbage
- 5 cups roughly chopped green cabbage
- ½ cup cooked bacon, chopped
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- ¼ cup vinegar
- ½ cup water
- ¼ cup onion, chopped
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
Begin the recipe by cooking the 5 cups of chopped cabbage in boiling water for about 5 minutes and then drain off the water. This step will help to slightly soften the cabbage, but also still allow it to remain slightly crispy.
*Boil enough water to cover the cabbage and then add the prepared shredded cabbage. Cook for 4 to 5 minutes or until slightly tender. Set aside.
Using a large skillet or the same pan, cook the ½ cup of bacon until it's well done and carefully remove it from the pan. Blot it with a paper towel to remove the excess oil.
Mix the leftover bacon fat with the 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour and 3 tablespoons brown sugar. Add in the ¼ cup vinegar, ½ cup water, ¼ cup chopped onion, ¼ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper.
Add the cabbage back to the pan with the sauce and toss to combine and coat the cabbage in the sauce mixture. Chop the bacon into small pieces and place it on top of the cooked cabbage.
Mix everything together until combined and cook for an additional 5 minutes, until heated thoroughly. Serve warm and enjoy!
Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days
- Do not overcook the cabbage or it will be mushy.
- The thickness and head of the cabbage will cause the cooking time to vary. When boiling the cabbage, try it to make sure it is to your desired level of tenderness. We want it to be tender but still have a bite to it.
- Instead of buying the prepared bag of cabbage, use a fresh head of green cabbage and prepare it yourself. Use a sharp knife and cutting board. Begin cutting from the top of the cabbage and work your way down toward the stalk/stem. Make the slices as thick or thin as you prefer.
- To make it spicy, add some crushed red pepper or your favorite hot sauce.
- You may substitute the green cabbage for red cabbage instead if you prefer.
Calories: 100kcal | Carbohydrates: 13g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 3g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 1g | Trans Fat: 0.01g | Cholesterol: 9mg | Sodium: 269mg | Potassium: 169mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 8g | Vitamin A: 61IU | Vitamin C: 22mg | Calcium: 33mg | Iron: 1mg