Easy Chess Squares – A Southern Staple made using only 5 simple ingredients which are cake mix, cream cheese, butter, eggs, and sugar. This recipe creates a dessert that is so Good and Sweet that you must give it a try!
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time50 mins
- 1 box yellow cake mix
- 3 large eggs, divided
- 8 ounce cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, melted
- 4 cups (1 lb) powdered sugar (less if you want it to be less sweet)
Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F. and spray a 9×13-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
Using a medium bowl, mix the cake mix, melted butter, and one egg together until it forms a soft dough and then press the dough evenly into the bottom of the prepared baking pan. This will make your first layer and crust.
Using the same medium bowl, mix together the powdered sugar, softened cream cheese, and the two remaining eggs until smooth, about 1 to 2 mins. Pour on top of the prepared crust.
Place into the preheated oven and bake at 300 degrees F. for about 40-50 minutes or until the top is golden brown. Store in the refrigerator in an airtight container up to 7 days.
*Recipe adapted from Kevin and Amanda
- Melt the butter and allow it to come to room temperature before using in the recipe.
- Allow the cream cheese to come to room temperature before beginning the recipe for easier mixing.
- Make the crust by stirring in a bowl with a spoon.
- Make the cream cheese mixture with an electric mixer.
- Allow the chess squares to cool completely before cutting.
- May store in the freezer in a freezer bag up to 1 month.
Calories: 467kcal | Carbohydrates: 76g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 17g | Saturated Fat: 10g | Cholesterol: 94mg | Sodium: 463mg | Potassium: 66mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 58g | Vitamin A: 567IU | Calcium: 120mg | Iron: 1mg