Potato, Kale, and Sausage Soup
Want a bowl of Olive Garden Zuppa Toscana soup at home? Try this Potato, Kale, and Sausage Soup for two. It is the perfect combination of spice, flavor, and comfort.
- 2 3/4 cups chicken broth
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 medium russet potato, quartered and sliced with the skin on
- 2 cups kale, chopped
- 1/2 pound ground Italian sausage, spicy
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
Cook the ground Italian sausage until brown. Drain off the fat, pour into a small bowl, and set aside.
In a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, add the chicken broth and heavy cream.
Add in the prepared potato.
Add in the chopped kale.
Stir in the cooked Italian sausage until everything is combined.
Stir in the salt and red pepper flakes. Allow the soup to come to a low boil, then reduce the heat to low and cover. Allow the soup to simmer on low for 20 to 30 minutes until the potato is fork tender.
Serve warm. Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator up to 3 days.
Tips to Make this Zuppa Toscana Recipe:
- Drain off as much of the grease from the cooked Italian sausage as you can, but it may still end up in the soup. It is okay, a little added flavor.
- I prefer not to peel the potato, but if you would like to then you can.
- For this recipe, I used spicy Italian sausage. You may swap it for sweet or mild if you prefer.
- The addition of red pepper flakes is optional, feel free to omit if you prefer less heat.
- This recipe makes two hefty dinner portions but it can also be divided into four smaller portions or saved for later.
Calories: 606kcal | Carbohydrates: 22g | Protein: 24g | Fat: 48g | Saturated Fat: 20g | Cholesterol: 127mg | Sodium: 2644mg | Potassium: 1337mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 7205IU | Vitamin C: 117mg | Calcium: 192mg | Iron: 6mg