This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Vegan Pineapple Upside Down Cake Recipe. This is a vegan twist on a classic cake and this recipe certainly makes a delicious cake.
This year I was able to get my Christmas decorations up by the first week of December.
I feel very accomplished I must say. And now that I have the look of the season completely out of the way I can focus my attention on the next order of business which is the gifts.
This year I have a few people on my list that I will be purchasing gifts for and most of them make it very easy for me by dropping subtle hints about what they would like…’that purse looks nice, I would really like to have one of those’….or…’maybe someone will think about me for Christmas and get me one of those’...Yes, certain family members that I will not name in this post know exactly how to let you know what they want.
However, everyone cannot be like that and I am okay with that as well because after all that fun is giving gifts to everyone that knows what they are getting. With the exception of one person I usually can pick out gifts for my loved ones that they enjoy and the one exception being my dad.
Now my dad is the type of person that is pretty impossible to buy a gift for because when he sees something he wants…he buys it….and have you ever tried to find a gift for a person that already has everything they want? It is virtually impossible to do so without putting in some effort and thought. So this year I decided to think outside the box a bit for gifts for my dad and I will share my choices with you.
- Bevel Razor Starter Kit ($90) – This razor is specifically made for men with coarse hair and the single blade razors are clinically proven to reduce razor bumps. The starter kit includes a razor, one month supply of blades, priming oil, shave cream, and restoring balm. Plus the packaging is AMAZING!! I have given this a couple of times and have never heard any complaints.
- BirchBox Man ($20/month) – A monthly subscription box that contains an assortment of 4 top shelf grooming samples, plus a lifestyle item, delivered right to his door. The box is also tailored to suit the personal style of any man. And again the packing is amazing.
- TrackR ($30) – Know someone that has problems keeping up with things? Well, TrackR may be the perfect gift for them. Its small coin-sized devices easily attach to an item and if you ever need to find the item just pull up the app on your phone and it will send a signal to tell you where it is located. This is also a great way to make sure that you have everything you need before you rush out the door in the morning.
- Skagen Watch ($200) – You can never go wrong with a watch…that is unless of course, the person does not wear a watch. But anyway, these watches are stylishly priced under $200 and come in such a variety to fit any personal style. Plus I purchased a Skagen watch about 5 years ago and it still looks good and works.
- AncestryDNA ($89) – If the special man in your life is a history buff or ever been curious about his ethnic mix and details about his unique family history; this gift would be perfect. After sending a small saliva sample back in the prepaid envelope, he just has to sit back and wait for the results to arrive.
In the meantime, I will snack on some pineapple upside-down cake and think about which gift will be the best choice for my dad. What about you...what are some of your gift ideas this year? Share it with me in the comment section below.
Vegan Pineapple Upside Down Cake
- ¾ cup almond milk
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup plus 2 teaspoons canola oil
- ½ cup light brown sugar
- 9 pineapple rings (fresh or canned)
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon allspice
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 9 Maraschino cherries (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. and lightly grease a 9-inch square baking pan and line the bottom with parchment and set it aside.
- Pour the almond milk into a small bowl and add the apple cider vinegar and set aside to form your ‘buttermilk’ substitution.
- Grab your prepared pan and pour the 2 teaspoons of canola oil on top of the parchment paper and spread in an even layer.
- Sprinkle only ¼ cup of the brown sugar on top of the oil and spread in as even a layer as you can get. Layer the pineapple rings on top and set the pan aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, allspice, salt, and set aside.
- In a separate large bowl, whisk together the ‘buttermilk’ substitute, remaining ¼ cup brown sugar, granulated sugar, remaining ¼ cup canola oil, applesauce, and the vanilla. Then slowly whisk in the flour mixture until the batter is smooth.
- Pour the cake batter over the pineapple rings and place in the oven and bake for 30 to 45 minutes, or until a cake tester comes out clean.
- Let the cake cool in the pan on a wire rack for 15 minutes and then invert the cake onto a plate and peel away the parchment paper.
- Continue to allow the cake to cool completely. If you would like you may top the cake with maraschino cherries once it has cooled. Slice and Enjoy!