This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Tres Leches Cake Recipe – So easy and delicious! A simple cake that is soaked in a three full flavored milk mixture and topped with whipped cream.
Happy Cinco de Mayo!
The perfect time to celebrate with copious amounts of tacos, nachos, salsa, guacamole, and of course some delicious margaritas. As for me, I definitely love a good taco and it might just be a good day to revisit these Vegan Taco Cups, Jerk Chicken Tacos, or something else using this Homemade Taco Seasoning. Not that I need a special day to enjoy a good taco or margarita, but since this day is a tradition for some people, then who am I to say no.
Since we have our meal and drinks covered, then let’s skip right on to dessert and this Tres Leches Cake recipe. Have you ever tried this cake? It is a fluffy, light sponge cake that is soaked with a mixture of three milks: evaporated milk, sweetened condensed milk, and heavy cream. Hence, the name tres leches or three milks. This cake can also be considered a poke cake because you have to poke holes all over the top of the cake and pour the milk mixture over the top of the cake so that it absorbs down into all of the nooks and crannies before refrigerating the cake and topping it with a creamy whipped topping.
I love that this cake is easy to make using a 9-inch square baking pan and with everything being mixed in a single bowl. This cake also requires no other topping than spreading some whipped topping straight out of the container on top prior to serving and I decided to top it with some toasted coconut for a little something extra and to make it look pretty because after all aesthetics matters. This cake is the perfect way to finish off a spicy Mexican meal with something sweet. Be sure to give it a try!
Tres Leches Cake Recipe
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 large eggs, separated into egg whites and yolks
- ⅛ teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup milk
- ½ cup heavy cream
- ¾ cup evaporated milk
- ¾ cup sweetened condensed milk
- 8 ounce whipped topping
- toasted coconut (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F., grease a 9-inch square baking pan, and set aside.
- In a small bowl, sift together the flour and baking powder and set aside.
- In a large bowl, using a mixer on medium speed mix together the 3 large egg whites with the cream of tartar until soft peaks form. Slowly add in the sugar a tablespoon at a time until fully combined.
- Mix in the egg yolks one at a time until combined. Turn the mixer on low and gradually add in the flour mixture stopping at least once to scrape the sides of the bowl, continue blending until the ingredients are combined.
- Add in the milk and mix just until the ingredients come together. Pour the cake batter into the prepared pan and bake for 20 to 30 minutes until the center is set and a cake tester comes out clean.
- Once you remove from the oven, allow the cake to cool in the pan on a cooling rack. Mix the heavy cream, evaporated milk, and condensed milk, until smooth. Use a toothpick to poke holes all over the top of the cake.
- Slowly pour the milk mixture into the holes. Place the cake in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour or up to overnight. Top with whipped topping and toasted coconut prior to serving and store in the refrigerator.
Got any comments, questions, or ideas for the Tres Leches Cake recipe? Share them in the comments below!